Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,342   Online: 1023

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    That's the difference between England and Norway - you have light this time of year, we don't. At most a sort of bleak soggy paleness.
    I'll vouch for that! (In Oslo this afternoon, if you could call it that -- now to London tomorrow! )

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    Sounds like a real rough life, bjorke
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I should have known it would happen:

First day to go out with the 5x7 camera and it's freaking SNOWING here in Texas with gusts up to 30mph. Guess I'll take the holga and go run the last of the Christmas errands instead

Plus side: I'll take the 5x7 to work with me and shoot in the back of the dry cleaners
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like the effects the change of the season has on vegetation, and I like snow, but overall I could do without the cold. The winters here aren't too hard; pretty easy compared to what some of you have. But I blame the cold for conking out my vintage cameras. I've had a Rolleiflex and a Widelux die in the cold. They are back in working condition now, but I still hold a grudge.

One winter I was wandering through the woods in the snow, and I realized my cable release had dropped off somewhere. I was able to back track following my tracks in the snow and find it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If anyone needs some real cold shooting, haul your butt to Kansas tonight or tomorrow. Gaurenteed well below 0 FAHRENHEIT wind chills.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Winer Solstice in Boston was 4 F, good weather to see sea ducks on the Charles River. I actually had a friend who claimed to have gotten his Leica stuck to his face due to the cold. And in times past I enjoyed camping at minus 30 F in the White Mountains and also took some fun photos with my mittens on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nah, I don't like the cold any more. It was -6F here the other night. The car groaned when I tried to start it the following morn. And my knees remind me of my younger days of braving the cold, running around with a soggy pair of jeans protecting my legs. And trying to ice skate at -50F, didn't stay out too long that night!!
    Now I wait for the day when we can retire to sunny Arizona.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    . I actually had a friend who claimed to have gotten his Leica stuck to his face due to the cold.
    I had my Yashica waistlevel finder stick to my frosted moustach last winter. Luckily it didn't take much to free myself. Now I try to keep it a little more trimmed

Beware of condensation! Coming soon to a frozen moustach near you, rated PG ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why I don't like shooting in the cold:
    1) It's cold. Cuss.
    2) Shivering contributes to camera shake, so you must use a pod.
    3) It's cold. More cussing.
    4) Pods are even colder and must use gloves.
    5) It's cold. Advanced cussing.
    6) Must take gloves back off to set things like f/stops.
    7) It's cold. Post graduate cussing.
    8) Breath on the ground glass or lens.
    9) It's &^%#@ cold!
    10) If you need a picture of snow, just take a sheet of paper out. Bypass the developer and stop bath by putting it directly into the fix.

Now the darkroom is inside and warm with a lot less cussing - most of the time.
    Last edited by 25asa; 12-23-2004 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 25asa
    Why I don't like shooting in the cold:
    1) It's cold. Cuss.
    2) Shivering contributes to camera shake, so you must use a pod.
    3) It's cold. More cussing.
    4) Pods are even colder and must use gloves.
    5) It's cold. Advanced cussing.
    6) Must take gloves back off to set things like f/stops.
    7) It's cold. Post graduate cussing.
    8) Breath on ground or lens.
    9) It's &^%#@ cold!
    10) If you need a picture of snow, just take a sheet of paper out. Bypass the developer and stop bath by putting it directly into the fix.

Now the darkroom is inside and warm with a lot less cussing - most of the time.
    I solved those problems; I moved to Hawaii.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin