Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,694   Online: 935

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Yes, we are mostly hillbillies that only get to town/PO on Saturday evenings for the weekly picture show.
    .. and what's worse... that is BEFORE the weekly bath!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    If you use Paypal and the buyer claims the item wasn't received the seller takes all the hit unless he can prove delivery. Proof of shipping doesn't count.
    This is the first thing that came to my mid after reading Rick A's comment about "no guarantees".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have bought and sold to folks overseas, and really have no problems ...
    not only cameras/lenses, but silver recovery equipment ( silver magnets and trickle tanks &C )
    the only problem i have is that i feel sorry for people mainly because if they buy something
    for $X.oo$ they will get nailed with a brokerage fee, and a customs fee so it ends up
    being even more expensive for them.
    it isn't so much that it is a PITA to ship overseas, or whatever, it is that i get a sinking feeling
    in my stomach because of all the extra fees ...

i guess the buyers add all the extra fees into whatever it is they are buying to decide if it is worth the expense.
    CONNUS people have no idea how good they have it ...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    CONUS people have no idea how good they have it ...
    I've always wished I knew what that meant...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    CONUS = "Continental United States"
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    CONUS = "Continental United States"
    thanks - thought so, but it sounds like a sexual transmitted skin desease....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the "ConUS" term is a bit of a misnomer (unless quoting a price including shipping), as shipping domestic US to Alaska and Hawaii is just as easy, though perhaps more expensive.

I've had no issues with international shipping, maybe lucky. I often have the option of shipping from a small PO that is close and rarely has a significant wait. But if I need to ship at large PO, that means a trip and a 10-15 minute wait in line. Not worth it for a small dollar item, but I find that international buyers are usually willing to wait a few extra days (if disclosed in advance) to avoid a special trip to the PO.

I'm amazed at how cheap it is to ship international first class parcel. And surprisingly fast. But it does mean a trip to the PO and offers no tracking or insurance.

These comments about the seller being forced to refund even with proof of shipment are disturbing. I also found it a bit difficult to believe so I looked at ebay's policies and saw "If the shipping company confirmed the item was delivered, we consider this proof that you sent it.". Note that it says "was delivered", not "was shipped". I'll make sure to require insurance on anything international where there is a greater chance of a package being lost.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had no problems shipping items sold on ebay to foreign addresses. It does help that my local post office is pretty knowledgeable about shipping options and customs forms. This could be a problem in smaller cities where the staff is less familiar with what needs to be done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    it's even a hassle to ship to Hawaii, and Alaska.
    My last package to Hawaii took almost three weeks by USPS Parcel Post.
    I'll most likely keep my deliveries with the 48 states in the future......
    Alaska and Hawaii are part of the US, so no customs, special forms, etc. And USPS Priority Mail takes only a few days to get a package from NYC to me in Alaska. If the buyer is willing to pay the postage, what's the problem?
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the USPS you don't have to ship overseas to have problems.
    In August 2010 I sold and shipped a book to someone in NY City, I shipped it from Florida.

5 months later the buyer told me he never got it. I thought it was odd he waited 5 months but had no reason to doubt him so I refunded his money.

The book showed back up at my house 3 days ago, almost 2 years after I sent it.
    It had a sticker with checkboxes to indicate the reason for not being delivered but none of the boxes were checked. They don't call it US Post Office for nothing, maybe only English folks will understand that bit.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin