Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 824

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I always use Paypal for any transaction on the net.

And if I have an e-Bay and Paypal accounts, it is because I decided to go back to film 3 years ago. Otherwise, I would not use either system (e-Bay and Paypal). I think that at least half of my equipment has been acquired thru e-Bay. Amazing.

I take issue with the people who state that because they once had a problem with an international sale they will not do it again. This seems to imply that that they think everyone from their own country is honest but the rest of the world is not.
    I think Steve's got a point here. In real life there are honest and dishonest people everywhere in the world, not only in some specific areas. If I keep doing transaction on international basis, it is because I don't see any difference between my country and others in that matter. For instance, after a missing parcel being purchased, a Greek citizen sent out to me a second parcel to compensate the lost one.

BTW, on e-Bay, I tend to buy from Canadian people because not too many people bid on their items. This way I get very good deals. A trick I should have not shared here... (All the time, these items are in top conditions!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think, every reasonable person knows honesty of a person doesn't depend on one's nationality. I've been hurt/damaged by people from my own country in both places that I lived. It's just the way it is.... most people are honest, some aren't and those will damage the reputation for the rest of us.

Regardless, I still believe to whom we sell our own stuff to is entirely up to the seller for whatever - rational or otherwise - reason. If one wants to sell to the whole world, that's nice. If one wants to limit to a subset of places, that's his/her choice.

For me, I'll only sell my stuff to those who live in US and support Paris Hilton for president. I think she is now old enough for candidacy. Oh, yeah....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Over about two years ago I shipped from Canada overseas, at that time Canada Post offered a Ground Service which took a month although it featured "signed for" at a VERY reasonable price. I was able to ship anything for any value, safely.
    Canada Post canceled that service, now Xpresspost is the only service with signed for which works out to be a higher cost than the actual value of lower priced items. I will only sell & ship anything worth over $500.00 overseas now, to justify the price of mailing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronica645 View Post
    I will only sell & ship anything worth over $500.00 overseas now, to justify the price of mailing.
    Why does the mailing cost matter if the buyer is paying for it?

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are selling on Ebay, it matters as buyers can (and will) give poor feedback for high postage prices. Personally, I always check the postage before I bid and take my bid plus postage as the price, but no everyone does.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    If you are selling on Ebay, it matters as buyers can (and will) give poor feedback for high postage prices. Personally, I always check the postage before I bid and take my bid plus postage as the price, but no everyone does.
    It often happens that the seller asks for a specific quite high postage price and, once you finally win the bidding and receive the parcel, the postal price on the parcel is half of what was asked for. The rest of the money must be in the seller's pocket...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    . . . or in the box, the bubble wrap, the time to securely wrap, the time taken to go to the post office (a proper expense that needs covering for a business). Yes, some people are clearly expecting to make a profit on the postage as well. That is why you need to include postage in your consideration of the size of your bids.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    The rest of the money must be in the seller's pocket...
    Not entirely. Now you pay ebay fees on the total - including postage. Plus (as always) paypal fees. And paypal charges additional fees for international payments.

So you can assume that roughly 12-15% of the postage portion is now siphoned off the top. Perhaps not a big deal on expensive items, but does add up on smaller value items.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not just Ebay sellers that are making a packet on postage.

Several US photo stores charge outrageous prices for shipping to AU. I fully appreciate that it takes time to get to the PO, but seriously, charging $60.00 to post out an $10.00 item that will easily fit (safely) into a padded postbag - what gives? I know I can't get the item in AU at all - but no way I'm paying $60 bucks to have it delivered; if they think I'd be crazy enough to actually pay that - then they're the crazy ones. . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nanette, I've found it useful, when buying used equipment from vendors in France, to visit La Poste's site, read the tariffs, and suggest a shipping option to the seller.

I've also found it useful when buying from France to have the gear delivered to a friend there who'll forward it to me at cost.

If you want to buy a small inexpensive item from the US, ask someone in the US to get it for you and send it to you. People have done exactly that on APUG, the LF forum, ... But first visit www.usps.com to find out how much the Post Office will charge.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin