Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,956   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Why you don't ship overseas?

Hi guys,

I posted up a camera on ebay and I get many inquires about shipping it overseas other then US and Canada.
    Those of you who don't ship overseas, can you tell me the reasons?
    Last edited by rustyair; 06-21-2012 at 07:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lines and general abysmal service at an actual brick & mortar USPost Office.
    Someone also has to pay for currency conversion.
    It's just a general hassle and not worth it on small items.

Go ahead and flame me.

I get inquiries from overseas here on apug from people that have just signed up or only a few posts if any.
    I tend to be extremely leery of those but if an established apug subscriber and someone I know from participating in the forums wants something shipped internationally I will try to accommodate them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sell only small and inexpensive items here, so sending it overseas makes no sense because shipping become a major portion. If I were to sell more valuable items then custom becomes a concern. If the item gets stuck in custom, I have no control over it. If a broker gets involved, it gets really expensive. Again, I have no control over that either.

Long time ago, I had something shipped from Japan. The package simply disappeared and I had absolutely no recourse. Once, I shipped to Japan, and again, it went somewhere else. (yes, I speak both English and Japanese) Once something goes wrong and the item crosses border, what should be simple can get really complex and impossible.

If the other party was either in Canada or UK and we can reach a mutual understanding and I can trust the person, and the value is small, then I am willing to consider exceptions - but as a general rule, for me, it's US only.

I'm also very careful with whom I'd deal with, selling and buying but that's not what the OP asked, so I won't elaborate. There's no way I would make exceptions on eBay. (I no longer use ebay. Really bad experience)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why shipping overseas is a PITA:

• You have to stand in line at the US post office, and it is a sloooww moving line.
    • You have to fill in a 'bed sheet' customs form with such niceties as the HS tariff number and the EEL/PFC, not to mention the complete name, address, business name of the sender the complete name, address, business name, postal code, province of the receiver, the detailed description of contents along with the value of each item, its net weight and the gross weight of the total package.
    • The clerk then has to re-type all this data into his computer while you stand there - thus assuring that it is a sloooww moving line.
    • The cost for shipping a $95 enlarging meter can be $35 - and the post office claims it looses money.
    • The package gets out of the country fast enough - but then it can sit in customs in Portugal (or Canada, for that matter) for 6 weeks.
    • The 6 week delay prompts lots of "Where is my xxx?" emails that have to be answered - politely.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 06-21-2012 at 08:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I once did a series of product photos for a guy who makes his living selling other people's stuff on ebay. He did ship internationally but it was sometimes a huge headache, for instance the time he sold someone's Calumet 4x5 to a buyer in China. The buyer got upset over the cost of shipping, which came out to more than the price of the camera itself. I have twice sold small items to overseas buyers here on APUG, but I don't anymore because of the customs forms and the potential for headaches if something goes wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it's even a hassle to ship to Hawaii, and Alaska.
    My last package to Hawaii took almost three weeks by USPS Parcel Post.
    I'll most likely keep my deliveries with the 48 states in the future.

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ditto all of the above. Never had anything get lost the few times i did ship to Europe but the probability goes up. Market is big enough where I am to not need this bother. I rarely bid on things overseas a well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought stuff from overseas, both via ebay and on-line retailers, and sold stuff overseas. No big deal, though the post offices near me aren't prone to big lines. Filling out a customs form isn't any worse than filling out a FedEx airbill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I shipped 1 to Australia and it seems he "never" received it and I am out 1 camera (EOS 1 N) & $55 shipping fee. Lesson learnt the hard way. Screw me once shame on you. Screw twice shame on me.
    I would seem that the great minds on eBlay decided I did not send the camera even when I showed the receipt + the tracing # which states it went to OZ. The dude claimed he did NOT receive it. They even charged me an extra $26 for selling and handling the dispute for me. Piss on the sellers and then charge them for it is their motto.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 06-22-2012 at 01:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow a lot of negative experiences here! I always ship overseas. I print my postage at home, fill out the form (which is a piece of cake, takes maybe 30 seconds), stick it on the box, deliver it to the post office and it takes between two weeks and a month to arrive at it's destination. I warn all buyers that international shipping can be risky and time consuming, but I have never had any issues. The USPS is the fastest, cheapest, most reliable, and friendliest way to ship in my personal experience. I will never again use another shipping company, as every single package I have sent with anyone besides USPS has ended in total disaster.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin