Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,658   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Illogical preferences

When printing, I use either use Schneider or Rodenstock lenses. I don’t really think there is much difference in quality between them. However, I do like the tiny race bearings employed on Rodenstock aperture rings. I know I should not be influenced by such tactile functions devoid of optical performance, but do others have similar introspective feelings about small mechanical functions on photographic apparatus?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do.

And sometimes I want to kick myself in the b**ls for being such a mechanical-function snob.

I use a Valoy II. Mechanical engineering at its finest. Also just got a V35 that i have yet to set up. More of the same. Also shoot with a Contax RTS by which my mechanical-perfection fetish is satiated each time I feel the bearing-smooth precision of the film advance, or the just-right focus resistance of the Planar 50 1.4 on the front of it.
    Last edited by pstake; 06-22-2012 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with you, Clive. While two items may function measurably identically, there may be a certain tactile quality which makes me choose one over the other. I think it's normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a lot to be said about the "feel good" influence. I love my f6, f100............ but put a working Kiev 4a in my hands and perfection is attainable.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also value in taming the imperfect to get what you want out of it.

A colleague at my camera club mentioned a couple of years back the he 'has bought the best camera and lens money can buy’. He subscribes to Moore's law, 18 months later the ‘best’ was replaced with the ‘best’ again.

Too often we can get hung up on perfection and lose sight of the art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is nothing illogical about the Op's preference - the only thing that would be illogical would be to choose an inferior lens for that reason.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A good of the reason I love using old film equipment is because of the tactile feel... no shame in that. To achieve similar in digital you're looking at a $9000 M9 or (maybe) multi-kilobuck pro canikon gear. Even that doesn't REALLY compare.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do.
    My other hobby is restoring old cars, (which I haven't been able to indulge in recently). I do it because I like doing it, and good tools make all the difference. It's the same for anything that you're doing because you enjoy doing it, the best equipment will enhance the whole feeling of it. There's something very satisfying about a lens, film advance, or an automotive tool that works impeccably and feels like quality in your hand.
    I have a couple of modern AF lenses that have that scratchy feel when focussed manually. Compared to a lovely old Takumar I use regularly, they feel like junk, and it feels less satisfying to use them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Kiev 60 once - a terrible camera, but I loved the fact it was so very heavy and I really miss the uniquely Ukraine tank factory like smell of the grease. I'm tempted to get another from one of these companies that rebuild them to make them more reliable. I kid myself it is because a rebuilt Kiev might be more reliable than an old second hand Pentacon 6 - but deep down I know it is the recycled Soviet tank like qualities that appeal
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds OK to me, I prefer the feel of the Leica M3 to the MP, so I sold the MP. The MP is the better camera, built in meter and all the rest, but I prefer the feel of the M3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin