Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,487   Online: 882

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I recently was approached by the art instructor for a local high school who had just received a $20,000 grant for digital photo gear and was going to have the darkroom area remodeled. She has no idea of darkroom processes or equipment, and showed me a picture of one of the enlargers, of which they have several, and said "I don't even know if they still work or if you can get parts." It was a Beseler, and I assured her that not only did most of them probably work, but that there was no doubt parts were available and repairs easily done.

I offered to look the gear over, suggested that she keep at least one or two in good shape, save a couple for spare parts, and build a smaller darkroom where students still could try darkroom work if they wanted. It really doesn't take much space, and the running water is still there. The grant makes her hell-bent for digital, but she does understand the historical and hands-on value of the traditional craft.

The high school happens to be my alma mater, and they still have the gigantic gray 4x5 Beseler enlarger I used there 40 years ago. She wondered if it had any value or if it was dumpster material.

Peter Gomena
    Last edited by pgomena; 06-26-2012 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected a mis-statement

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    I stayed there 2 years without getting nobody interested. The vice-president once asked me, with a smile, after I took a shot with my K1000, where he could see the picture. That was not intended to hurt me, just a digital joke that shows no interest in the film handcraft.

Now, I have my own darkroom. BTW, I heard the club darkroom has been dismantled in order to leave some room for some other community needs. Same thing happened with an another much beautiful darkroom in another district. But there are still some public darkrooms around in my town.
    yes, similar thing happened to me. Fortunately, at our photo club, we are 2-3 analog guys left, plus a newcomer:he began with digital, then embraced (partially) film as well. That's why I still keep hope
    Once, we projected our slides with a Leica Pradovit projector. Now, there's some crappy video projector to view the images, and nobody seems to care too much about the image (non)quality (even those who did, back then!). But now, everybody comes with a USB drive full of photos, without any selection or so. bad, bad, bad!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    The vice-president once asked me, with a smile, after I took a shot with my K1000, where he could see the picture. That was not intended to hurt me, just a digital joke that shows no interest in the film handcraft.
    Tell him to meet you in 25 years, and you can compare photos. Chances are his will be long gone.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I joined a club in Perth when I was over there (2009-2010); they had a shared darkroom and I was the first person to sign in to it since I think 2003. There were 2 or 3 other film shooters (from a club of 120) but they had home darkrooms. We got one more person into film (an RB67) in that time; someone started with LF just as I was leaving and I now see them posting at LFPF.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Tell him to meet you in 25 years, and you can compare photos. Chances are his will be long gone.
    So true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in a real camera shop a few weeks ago. They had an RB67 with a beast of a huge lens for sale for reasonable money. Since I was going out of town on business I decided to hold off, until I got back.

Last weekend I went back, with the idea of likely buying the camera.

First the bad news... The camera, you guessed it, had found a new home.

The good news... The shop owner bought it. He had run a test roll through it and fell in love. He offered to sell me his Canon 5D Mk II, which he was no longer interested in keeping. He has decided to go all film. So there is at least one place, within driving distance that will be supporting film a while longer. That's the best news. I keep telling myself that it is better than me having one more camera... ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin