Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,577   Online: 1113

Shooter
    4x5 Format

summer heat and camera storage

I'm planning to be out of town for a few weeks and I'm starting to feel nervous about leaving some of my gear in the heat. We live on the top floor of a 1930's apartment building and it easily hovers around 90 without ac and probably gets up to 105+ on hotter days. We normally use window ac's but leaving them on is not an option really. I'm moving my film archive to a place that has ac, but there's no room for the gear there. Mainly I'm worried about the lube in my Hasselblad and Schneider lenses I guess. I would also not like to find all the leatherette peeling off or stupid cosmetic stuff that would be a pain to deal with. I know it's not like locked-in-a-car heat, but still, is 90-100F for two weeks a big deal?

thanks,
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about the fridge? Clean out the perishables. Double bag them and then go to the local paint shop and get some new empty paint cans and seal them up real good. Just give them a day or so to warm up when you get back before you unpack them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt heat alone will cause any problem.... I might be concerned about night and day temperature difference and condensation if it is a humid area. I would then put it in a zip loc bag with a piece of desiccant and keep it in a shade.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in Florida where it goes into the 90's for most of the year. This is the last day of June and the temperature is going to be 94 today. Don't worry!
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dangobot View Post
    I'm planning to be out of town for a few weeks and I'm starting to feel nervous about leaving some of my gear in the heat. We live on the top floor of a 1930's apartment building and it easily hovers around 90 without ac and probably gets up to 105+ on hotter days. We normally use window ac's but leaving them on is not an option really. I'm moving my film archive to a place that has ac, but there's no room for the gear there. Mainly I'm worried about the lube in my Hasselblad and Schneider lenses I guess. I would also not like to find all the leatherette peeling off or stupid cosmetic stuff that would be a pain to deal with. I know it's not like locked-in-a-car heat, but still, is 90-100F for two weeks a big deal?

thanks,
    David
    That's not too bad. Wrap them up in something which will insulate them, and stick them under the bed or in a closet. Their average temp. will remain pretty reasonable. After all, we run at 99 degrees or so for years with no ill effect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dangobot View Post
    ... is 90-100F for two weeks a big deal?

thanks,
    David
    No.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    thanks for the replies, i'm starting to feel better. i'm sure part of it is my own aversion to summer heat in nyc. i'd rather live in an icy fjord and have to start a fire to warm up my developer.

i should have mentioned, all the gear is in pelican cases with desiccant cans. so, i'm not worried about humidity or condensation. I did come across a Halliburton case that the foam got sticky from heat and ended up all over the gear. I don't remember the details or who it belonged to. Could have been someone i assisted for many years ago.

I may move some of it to my wife's office, but then there are potential security issues...

As to putting it in the fridge, great idea, but no room! where do you think all my Fuji-roid and film is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not worry about the lubrication. I'm confident that it was specified to survive 100 degree temps. Mine has. The temp of your gear will rise and fall slowly with the temp of your house. I'd worry more about ensuring that the gear has air to breath to avoid condensation rather than any extreme measures like refrigeration. Moderation in all things is a good thing, except perhaps love... in which case, the more the better.

The foam degradation issue was most likely old chemically-unstable foam, not heat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That temperature shouldn't present a problem, I think. The Pelican cases probably give enough insulation. However, you might consider getting one of those cheapo styrofoam coolers and putting the lenses inside them to give you some additional peace of mind. Put the stuff in the part of the apartment that seems coolest -- probably like an interior hallway, away from direct sunlight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If 100F for two weeks presented problems, there will be no photographers shooting outside events in Florida.... Alabama, or worse in middle east. Just make sure they aren't exposed to direct sun or excessive moisture. You don't need any special treatment. It will be fine.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin