Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,537   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think a UNC screw will go into a Whitworth thread but a Whitworth screw could bind in a UNC thread.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It all depends on the class of fit.

Photographic threads are loosey-goosey because they're designed to work even if dirty or damaged.
    These are not high-precision parts.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Photographic threads are loosey-goosey because they're designed to work even if dirty or damaged.
    I think you're right. Which is why I suggested that the actual thread used by tripod manufacturers is probably a modified form of one or the other designed to fit both.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think modern tripod/camera threads are all UNC, but with wide enough tolerances that they mate with Whitworth.

One factor that affects inter-matability is length of engagement, and tripod screws are very short.

The Whitworth threadform was quite popular with Leitz. They may be the ones who standardized on it for tripods.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-05-2012 at 06:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UNC was specifically designed, during WWII, to be compatible with the same size British Standard and the US standard course threads. Whitworth was something else, but has not been much used since the 1950's (Well, some British bicycles were still using it up to 1973, while others had been using the BS threads since the 1930's).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some British cars were using it well into the 1970s too. Sometimes with metric size hex heads on the bolts!

I thought Whitworth was the British standard which UNC was based on.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I thought Whitworth was the British standard which UNC was based on.
    Perhaps, but only in a very general way since they have fundamentally different threadforms.

The American UNx threads all use a 60° included angle, while the Whitworth thread uses 55°.

- Leigh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin