Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,634   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Self-taught.
    Me too, and in my case, not very well at that.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    My advice... drop your life for a couple of years and go find a good technical school, like NESOP or Brooks. The level of photgraphic experience you are going to find will blow your socks off. Intense, goal driven, artistic challanging, ego reducing classes that will make you into a fine photographer with professional potential.

I did this in 1985/86 and don't regret a single moment I spent there. I later went and got the engineering degree that supports my kids, kameras, and kritters.

tim in san jose (robotics software engineer, B&W photographer)
    Tim, this I find interesting. Of all the graduates of Brooks ( Santa Barbara) how many do you think are working professionals in photography.

In my experience, a very high percentage are privileged LA, kids who want to be photographic "stars" a la Arney Fretag (sp?) or film makers. I wonder what your experience was with this.

I, like most portrait photographer started by the seat of my pants doing weddings and gradually got into doing better work by attending seminars. I attended Winona School of Professional Photography in Winona Lake Indiana (now Chicago)which is run by Professional Photographers of American.These were usually one week seminars taught by working professionals who came to teach for a week.

I attended about 7 different ones of these as well as West Coast School (Brooks Institute) and a number of others as well as seminars put on by the Professional Photographers of Canada.

I believe that although full time schools are the best way to learn technical information, that often the best people photographers are self taught. I think that in Europe that a commercial photographer has to apprentice although I'm not sure about a portrait photographer.

Michael MCBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    So, how did you wind up in New Zealand?
    You know, Robert, I was thinking the same thing...must be the beer
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    You know, Robert, I was thinking the same thing, must be the beer
    Having been to NZ, I would move there tomorrow if it were possible.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Took a incredibly pointless photo class my freshman year of college and dropped while I could still get my money back--the teacher spent the first two days explaining what SLR meant. I had also planned on using my rolleicord for the class, but was told that I couldn't by the professor because it was too advanced--apparantly 50 years old with bigger film=advanced?

Ha ha. Thats horrible, kind of like the person who called me "High Tech" for using a 60 year old 4x5 press camera. Appaerently advanced means using your brain instead of letting the SLR figure out all the settings for you?

I took three semesters of photo in colloge, partially to fill my minor requirements, and mostly just to get access to the darkroom. The Photo I actually tought me a bit, but from there on out they classes becaome mostly "Expressing your emotions" type teaching, so I had to mainly rely on the internet and books to gather information so I could progress beyond taking very 18% gray photos of my cat or bedroom wall.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    I think that in Europe that a commercial photographer has to apprentice although I'm not sure about a portrait photographer.Michael MCBlane
    Michael I don't know if it's common but I usually get told I capture something that "trained photographers" don't when I shoot portraits, which usually leads to me taking work off the studio's around here. So possibly it's people skills that are more important when it comes to portraits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having been to NZ, I would move there tomorrow if it were possible.
    Me three, as long as I didn't have to be someplace at "sivin" o'clock.

As to the original question, I'm also self-taught. I only wish I had picked a better instructor.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Me three, as long as I didn't have to be someplace at "sivin" o'clock.

As to the original question, I'm also self-taught. I only wish I had picked a better instructor.
    I think most of the UK would move after seeing Billy Connolly and his world tour of NZ.

Back on topic before I get me wrist slapped again, alas we don't get much choice of courses in the West Country as well are always forgotten (bring on the violins)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    I think most of the UK would move after seeing Billy Connolly and his world tour of NZ.
    I have a good friend who lives on the South Island; she migrated there from the UK about 7 years ago.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a good friend who lives on the South Island; she migrated there from the UK about 7 years ago.
    I bet she never regrets the move for a second. From pictures and the television it looks beautiful and a god made outdoor studio for photographers.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin