Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,781   Online: 965

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Images
    After seeing a number of posts here, it occurs to me how many people I have worked with over the years who originally got their photographic training in the Navy. Quite a few although they all seemed to be on Carriers. I'll admit that this is the first time that I've heard of a Submarine Photographer.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I'll admit that this is the first time that I've heard of a Submarine Photographer.
    Neal, you thought there was just an eyeball looking through the periscope.

My boat, USS City of Corpus Christi, SSN 705, returning from initial sea trials, October 1982.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003
    My first professional training was while I was in the Navy. [...]
    Greetings fellow squids! I'm an ex US Navy PH (Photographer's Mate) too! I was the photo dweeb in middle- and high-school, then joined the Navy for five years, got basic survey (very good school, IMO) photo training in Pensacola, FL, spent all my tour that wasn't spent in training on a carrier (USS Saratoga). In about '82, I got sensitometry and Kodak EH38 rollfilm processor maintenance training in Key West, FL.

That covers about 1975-1985. Sometime around 1983 or 1984, I got distracted by computers, then started doing various things in computing from 1986 to 2002. For the past two years, I've operated a small portait and wedding studio, and I've learned as much about photography and about what I like to photograph (which has changed significantly during these two years) as I had during all the previous years put together.

The combination of economics and the solitute of being a one-man shop have motivated me back to getting a Regular Day Job, so I'm about to enter a new season of my photographic life. I'm looking forward to learning all the things I'll learn and do this time around.

-KwM-

Images
    Alex,
    I was thinking of a lot of pictures taken with wide-angle lenses in cramped quarters.

Beautiful picture. The drama and symmetry. Breathtaking but as the viewer, I feel like I'm going to get very wet very soon.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Different kinds of schooling...

I received my BFA in Film, Photography, and Visual arts from Ithaca college back in '94. I was considering pursuing an MFA for a while and I got some great advice... There are considerable differences between schools and you need to make sure you are going to the right school for the right reason. If you're looking for technical skills, many community colleges will do fine. There are more advanced technical schools out there like RIT or Brooks, but I'm sure they will be getting away from traditional photography as their main focus before too long.
    In my view, technical considerations are a given at the better programs. After all, anyone can learn the technical part if they have lots of time to do it or are motivated by a paycheck to get it. The hard part is learning what is going on in photography and see where the hell you're going with your work. Not having any direction and trying to find it is very difficult, and a GOOD arts program will help you. A bad one will simply try to mold you into whatever they think photography should be. Ultimately, an arts program should be about much more than making nice pictures, you should learn quite a bit about yourself in the process. That's what makes it so tough:-) After all, if you just wanted nice pictures, you could buy many of them from many places. Why you feel like you need to make them should be an important question in any arts program. If you're not interested in those types of questions or that process, check out a local community college or go to some workshops, they're a lot of fun, you'll learn some very useful things, and they don't have the time commitment (or cost) that grad school has.

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have bachelor's and master's degrees, both from Brooks Institute. Best campus, best climate among photography schools. Nearly every job I have had since I got out of school was given to me because I went to Brooks. That and my boyish good looks I guess.
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went to a couple of art schools, most notably CalArts when Catherine Lord (of AfterImage) was there. The technology overlaps with filmmaking for the most part. 20+ years of filmmaking pretty-much drowns-out the stuff you learned in school, in terms of the volume of learning-by-doing that it entails. I also was a model when I was a teenager, and learned a fair bit from local catalog and ad shooters, and at the same age worked as a babysitter to a newspaper shooter who lived across the street from us, and relished the job because once the kids were asleep I could (with his blessing) devour his photo-book library and his regular admonitions that equipment was secondary to ideas and people. He's now photo editor at National Geographic, guess he had a clue

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Took a City & Guilds course last year. Found it thoroughly enjoyable and very useful. My photography improved noticeably from start to finish.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Self-taught with lots of input from books and fellow members of my photo club. I did one course that lasted 12 weeks where I learned the basics of film development and printing (including a little toning et.al.) plus basic composition and techniques of photography with an SLR.
    My teacher was very narrow minded IMHO so he wasn't very good at accepting your personal preferences and style of photography.

Morten

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did go to school for art (see my introduction post) but I only took one class on photography and didn't teach me much more than what an apparture is.
    Everything I have learned has come from books, the internet and experience shooting. Unfortunately I have had no luck finding a seious teacher to help me with certain matters, but I survived well so far!
    When I got the Hasselblad last year, I was thinking of doing a masters on photography and maybe even a carrier but now, after the storm of digital has flattened too many good things in photography, I changed my mind.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin