Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,673   Online: 1034

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    2 night classes at Humber College in Etobicoke and one at Sheridan College in Oakville. Lots of books, APUG (Thanks everybody!), trail and error. The biggest impact on my photography was when I started developing and printing my own.
    Have had a lot of fun and far too much agrivation in night calsses. I like taking the classes and the fellow students are usually great. BUT if you end up with a mediocre or "my way or the highway" instructor, the learning aspect could be lacking. With the right teacher, it's fun and enlightening. One class at Humber was taught by Ethan (hope I spelled that right and wish I could remember his last name) and he was great!

Last night was last class at Sheridan, and while I will miss the darkroom and some of the people, I'm glad its over. I didn't like the Instructor at all, felt the program was lacking in darkroom technics... well that's another rant.
    Yet for all my whining, I'm going back for more punishment next semester :rolleyes: All in all, I would say I have learned at least something from each class.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One class in college, rest from books and trial and error, and error, and error..should fire my teacher (self taught)

As has been stated, have learned more about photography here than anywhere. Have made that point many times recently - when telling people about this site.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a BFA in photography from Pratt Institute. At the time it was a very artsy program, lots of critiques etc. They also had a foundation program, drawing, painting, sculpture (ugh!), that I think was really useful for training my eye. I still go back to drawing when I'm in a rut, and I think anyone wanting to improve their photography can benefit by taking some drawing courses. Although, I had a great experience there, they lacked really good technical teachers. We had a professor who was a very good, working commercial photographer for our studio class, but he was a lousy teacher, who rarely gave demonstrations. About a year ago decided to take a lighting course at NESOP to fill this real lack in my skills, and found a great teacher, who did excellent demonstrations. I also took a darkroom class there to brush up in those skills after a long hiatus, and really got a lot out of it.

As many have said before, I think the teacher can really make or break a class. I found the critiques in college helpful, but I just wish they hadn't been quite so light on the craft, and offered a better balance between the visual and the technical. If time will allow, I still plan to take classes. I've learned quite a bit here on APUG, but you can't beat the feedback you can get from teachers and other students. There always seems to be more to learn!

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never taken a class. I plan to take at least one class next fall. As of current I'm teaching myself what I can by reading a few books and through trial & error and with the help of APUG.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I will put my 2 cents in for my alma mater, Mass College of Art in Boston. Back in the old days it was all in one building and next to Beth Israel Hospital. Now they have moved to a large campus in the area. In the photo dept all of the instructors have received at least one Guggenheim and all have work in major collections and museums around the country.

lee\c

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Fanshawe College, London Ontario, 1973-76
    Fell in love with photography the first time I saw an image come up in the Developer, I am still amazed everytime the image emerges, feel a little bit like a magician when this happens.
    At the time this school was very heavy into the practical applications and pushed us real hard.
    I would like to give my praises to John Kippen, and Don Dunsmore for their help and encourgament during this period of my life.
    John and Don gave constant praise when we did something right and gave us shit when we didn't work hard enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took a couple classes in high school with a guy who was a physics teacher as well as a photo teacher. He was pretty grouchy. He was a big fan of the west coast influence (this was the early '80s and Imogen Cunningham and Minor White had only been dead for a few years and Brett Weston and Ansel Adams were still alive) but he couldn't understand the Zone System. He would say that it was extremely complicated and he couldn't explain it. And he used HC-110 because that's what Ansel used though he didn't know about rating film speed. I got thrown out of his class over a conflict about two weeks before he left the school under duress.

After that I've remained largely an autodidact. Although I took a few more high school photo classes, the only formal experiences I've had that were valuable were a couple of seminars with Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than a couple of weekend seminars over the years, I learned by making every mistake I could. Sometimes multiple times. I'm still learning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had no formal training bar a 5 evening course in 'Advanced Darkroom' which I used to get darkroom time.

My mentors have been photography books and lots of trial and error.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Self-taught for many (many) years. Then in 1980 Fred Picker's 2-week school for beginning large format; early on in Bruce Barnbaum's career, a 2-day course; 2 1/2-years ago, John's Sexton's hectic 1-week workshop (by far the BEST - leanred a LOT)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin