Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,715   Posts: 1,483,041   Online: 776

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What photography schooling did you take?

This is a question I have been meaning to ask for a while. I'm just curious because recently I have been contemplating looking at a 'real' school for a master in fine arts program in photography or something similar.

I've been taking pics since I was 12 and pretty much taught myself everything, but recently I took a couple courses at NYU and ICP and have found the bug again to goto school. Especially from the artistic/creative point of view.

It's a significant departure from the MBA and engineering degree I have, and won't help me at all with my career, but at least it'll be fun!

What photography classes, courses, schools have you all been/gone to/recommend?

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Took a incredibly pointless photo class my freshman year of college and dropped while I could still get my money back--the teacher spent the first two days explaining what SLR meant. I had also planned on using my rolleicord for the class, but was told that I couldn't by the professor because it was too advanced--apparantly 50 years old with bigger film=advanced?

Did take a weekend palladium printing workshop with Clay Harmon that was fantastic! I really enjoyed the workshop atmosphere and plan to attend the next free week-long Per Volquartz workshop and hopefully save enough to attend one of Michael Smith's weekend vision workshops.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Images
    Self-taught the basics. Then, on-the-job working in studios and labs.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Self-taught...with the help of thousands of mags and books!! I would like to do a course, but something specific, such as alternative processes or time with a real master. I am trying to get up and running professionally, so time will tell whether I should have taken a course!!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My advice... drop your life for a couple of years and go find a good technical school, like NESOP or Brooks. The level of photgraphic experience you are going to find will blow your socks off. Intense, goal driven, artistic challanging, ego reducing classes that will make you into a fine photographer with professional potential.

I did this in 1985/86 and don't regret a single moment I spent there. I later went and got the engineering degree that supports my kids, kameras, and kritters.

tim in san jose (robotics software engineer, B&W photographer)
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Got a Media Arts degree from the University of South Carolina (would have preferred going to a dedicated photo school but was not a choice at the time). I took many photo courses, even many digital courses in photoshop *gasp. I hated all the non traditional photo courses we were forced to take and did poorly in them, got high marks in the photo courses (I seem to only do well if I am passionate about something). My main photo instructor was Gene Crediford, and he was a blast, a true old school photog if you ever saw one. I sure wish I could catch up with him but no idea where he has gone to or if he is even still alive..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Self-taught for about the first 25 years - then went on a photography (arts) foundation course and later a photography (craft) foundation course, both more to use the darkroom facilities than anything else. The second one taught me some darkroom skills, but I've learned more here about analog alchemy than I did on both courses. A HUGE Thank You Everyone

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I did the same as some of you. I went to the local commuinty college photography dept. It didn't hurt that many local West coast fine art assistants taught while I was there. The school was raided by the local commerical labs for employees on a monthly basis. What's nice about a lab was the free film processing and low cost to printing.
    But, that was sometime ago and digital is king amoung labs.
    I think you need to ask yourself. What kind of photography are you interested in? Commerical, journalism, weddings (dread) or fine art. Then look to see what workshops are around you, what kind of schools and then test the waters,
    Robert8x10

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Self-taught.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Got a Media Arts degree from the University of South Carolina...
    So, how did you wind up in New Zealand?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin