Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,650   Online: 987

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

QUEEN LIVE stereo cards on the way

Great news for fans of rock and stereo photography: Brian May has just announced that he will soon be releasing a collection of classic live Queen stereo cards. They will be available through his stereo web site www.londonstereo.com. Details can presently be found at www.brianmay.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How does he take and print the photographs?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May is also a fully paid-up fan of Fujifilm’s 3D digital stills camera. Released in 2009, the FinePix Real 3D W1
    ‘You can put any of the classic stereo cards in there ['owl' stereo viewer], daguerreotypes, slides – and I can make something similar to that from the Fuji camera.’-Brian May
    No evidence he is using film. Quote from here: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...hing-called-3d

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    No evidence he is using film. Quote from here: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...hing-called-3d
    But further on down the page:

May’s zeal for imaging stretches back to the time he spent in his father’s darkroom.

‘I was lucky enough to have a dad who spent hours and hours with me in the darkroom, developing our own pictures and printing them.

‘I have a great love for photography, mostly the processes that were around when I was a kid, the films, the gaslight paper and the bromide paper and all that stuff, the smell of the chemicals… it will always be with me.’

He clearly still has a hankering for the darkroom and relishes the challenge of exploring processes from a bygone era - his personal ‘voyage of discovery’.

To that end he recently commandeered ‘the best wet plate practitioners of the present day’ in a bid to re-create the conditions under which Victorian photographer TR Williams would have worked.

May's latest mission involved the wet-plate collodion process and similarly antiquated darkroom techniques that brought him into contact with ‘all sorts of horrible chemicals’.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From brianmay.com "These are the first two series of 12, plus two bonus cards for each set. It's very satisfying to see these 'wet proofs' - here laid out on a rug - after all this time ... the result of many updates and re-edits. It's Queen in the Freddie days, at various times … converted from 35mm film stereos - mainly using a Stereo Realist camera."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    converted from 35mm film stereos - mainly using a Stereo Realist camera."
    I missed that , thanks for posting.
    I saw the above mentioned wet plate info, but is that stereo wet plate? I wasn't sure.

Either way May is an interesting fellow. Built a much better guitar than Eddie...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Either way May is an interesting fellow. Built a much better guitar than Eddie.
    Which Eddie?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Which Eddie?

Steve.
    When I was growing up, the two guitarists that came to mind with the phrase "built their own guitar" were Brian May and Eddie Van Halen. Though Eddie's was 'built' with off-the-shelf components.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EVH_-_Frankenstien.143.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	53839
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red_Special.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	53840
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-12-2012 at 07:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I prefer Eddie Lang!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Lang

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I prefer Eddie Lang!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Lang

Steve.
    His father made a guitar for him, I usually associate him with the L5?
    Too bad about the tonsils. Surgery in the pre-Bovie days.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin