Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,455   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I think exposure needs to be taken out of the equation Dan, it's long been used for controlling colour saturation particularly with Kodachromes regardless of lenses being coated r not. Also I've found newer Copal shutters often run slower than Compurs of any age (that aren't sticky). I have tested my Compurs and some Copals and even a 1913 compur is still remarkably accurate.

Ian
    Ian, when I was working hard at trying lenses out I found that apparent differences between pairs of lenses in color saturation usually (note, usually does not mean always) went away when I used the same shutter for both sets of cells. Since most of my lenses cover formats much larger than 2x3, I ended up hanging longer lenses in front of a Nikon (with aperture priority autoexposure, and I let it set the shutter speed) for testing central sharpness. With the same shutter running at the same speed most of the lenses I tried out differed not at all in color saturation. The Konica Hexanon GRIIs I mentioned were the biggest exceptions.

I use a Calumet shutter tester. I check my leaf shutters at least annually. Few are absolutely consistent shot-to-shot, Compounds consistently run fast at low speeds, slow at high, Compurs, Copals, Prontors, Rapaxes and Supermatics tend to be close to spec at low speeds, slow to very slow at high. No two run exactly the same.

To change the subject slightly, I've read claims that not all lenses render colors the same. I've encountered the effect when shooting in daylight -- on first trial some lenses have shot very blue -- but it hasn't been reproducible and I've never seen it when shooting with flash (always the same flash). It turns out that my blue shots were taken while the sun was behind a cloud. This raises color temperature ... I have somewhere a really nice shot, taken on an E6 emulsion, of an electric blue alligator. The 'gator was in deep shade. Same effect.

When I try lenses out I control everything controllable as well as I can. This may be why my results differ from many other peoples' assertions.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, my experience with LF lenses is quite a marked shift in colour balance between modern Multi-coated lenses and very early coated lenses, there's no doubting the bluse shift with my 1950's CZJ T coated Tessar it can be seen visibly as well as in colour images if no correction is used- I tested it in Turkey where the light's very constant in the Summer.

I've an early coated 65mm f8 SA (Linhof select) and that gives colder colours than my Multi coated Schneider and Rodenstock lenes, same lighting shot alonside on the same film stock, however later coated Schneider lenses are closer and it would be hard to tell between a coated and Multi-coated versions.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Placing a series of slides that I shot on the same film stock, in the same scene but from different cameras actually surprised me. I had a Fuji GW690III and the Mamiya 7II. Side by side, the color difference was somewhat noticeable, but what really made the difference was the contrast. I had always thought the Fuji lenses were fantastic, but putting the slides side by side made me realize that the Mamiya had that much more punch in the image and overall was more pleasing (to what I wanted as a photographer). Oddly though, a 1952 Moskva slide looked quite nice as well...haha!
    K.S. Klain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin