Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,010   Online: 685

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using a Yashica Electro 35. The filter doesn't affect the range finder, and it doesn't affect the light meter as that is mounted outside the lens area.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Has nobody discussed the gel filter between the film rails? This was a common subject in many IR articles I've read and quite good for SLR shooting. The only thing better I've seen is a twin lens camera, It only needs the filter on the taking lens.
    I'd not heard of this idea. Inspired, I went to Freestyle and asked for an IR gel filter, and they sold me a Lee 87C. After I got home, I did some research and decided that the 87C's cutoff is way to high for the Efke film I was using, and gave up on the idea.... This was several months ago, back before I knew Efke was no longer going to make the darn film.

Anyway, the point of this post is that during my internet travels, I came across http://www.xumeadapters.com/. Seems like a winner. They don't come in 52mm yet though.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hinged IR Filter Holder for Infrared Photography

The filter on the inside rails is something I never thought of either. Rangefinders and tlr's would be easiest as other have pointed out. I have the Nikon AF-1 gel filter holder. It's an old piece of gear, it has a 52mm male thread, a foam lined interior (which I had to replace) and a odd outer female thread which I had to look up just now which is 60mm. You can use it for an ir filter two ways, find an IR gel that's not ridiculously expensive and tape it to the flip out side or use a step down or step up filter converter and a seperate IR screw on filter. This will let you compose and focus with it open, and shoot by closing and locking down. Remember to adjust your focus for IR.

Shooter
    35mm

Hinged IR Filter Holder for Infrared Photography

I've only just noticed this thread. I used to use a Nikon FE for IR work. The lens I used had a 52mm thread. It was the 28mm E series. I found an Optech lens cap which screwed in and was hinged. I don't know if they are still made. I drilled out the soft plastic cap and screwed a Hoya R72 into it. There is no thread, but the filter cut its own thread into the plastic. It's easy if you can find the Optech cap. It doesn't work with my 24mm, but is ok with 28mm and above. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking at the XUME adapter, it could be used with a 52-58mm step-up adapter ring.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This had been done. In the 80's/90's there had been marketed by US company a square, conical kind of lens-shade, which planes actually existed of/incorporated each of hinged filter/filterholder.
    I'm not sure whether the offer included an IR filter, but installing one should not have been that problem.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OP offered a hinged lens-cap (hinged to a ring screwd into the filter-thread). Installing a filter into that cap should be a simple DIY task.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will chime in on the side of using a rangefinder. They are available at all price ranges and as has been pointed out, the filter can stay in place for composing the image.
    I have a little Rollei 35 (very sharp lens!) always loaded with HIE. I bought a step-up ring and a B+W 87 filter (37mm).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin