Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,393   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hinged IR Filter Holder for Infrared Photography

Has this been invented yet? Or something like it? I'm tired of unscrewing the IR filter and hood every time I want to recompose. Does anyone have a different work-around?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I feel your pain ... I thought I was going to wear out the threads of my Bronica mounting and removing filters a year or so back.

There were some folders in the 1930s that had a yellow filter hinged to the lens mount. For my latest IR foray I used a TLR, an easy solution.

Any chance you could find a push-on filter adapter for your camera of choice? Admittedly they are becoming rare, but I see a few go by on ePrey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about something like Mamiya 7 polarizer? I suppose you can buy one and replace the glass. Not a cheap option, mind you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Nikon so most of my lenses have a 52mm filter thread, which is nice.

I was thinking maybe an inexpensive rangefinder would make a decent camera to dedicate to IR since I wouldn't need a meter. I didn't think about a TLR though, that's a good idea. I would want one with interchangeable lenses, preferably with an ultrawide option.

I had never seen the Mamiya 7 polarizer; I googled it and that's almost exactly what I had in mind! Tiffen or Hoya should copy that idea to make an IR filter for SLRs; just swing it out of the way until you're ready to take the shot. I guess there might not be much of a market though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old (1936) Voigtlander Bessa RF had a hinged yellow filter. Pretty nice, however my guess with IR is there would be ample opportunities for minor light leaks with this type of arrangement. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hm... I don't seem to have any problem with my Rolleiflex.

This actually, is one of my big pet-peeves with my SLRs... I keep thinking, "This is my most expensive filter, and I am handling it for every exposure I make" (or in the the case of my Cokin gel filter, "this is one of my most fragile filters and that waterfall is ruining my day! ")

Let us know what works for you.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    With SLR and rangefinder I use an accessory viewfinder from Petri lens kit, the lines give 35mm and 85mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Can't you just use a standard 4-inch filter holder like they use in movies/TV? Of course the filters are pricier, but if it's just for the one filter for IR work...

Gee, even Nikon seems to make one:

http://www.adorama.com/NKAF4.html

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Can't you just use a standard 4-inch filter holder like they use in movies/TV? Of course the filters are pricier, but if it's just for the one filter for IR work...

Gee, even Nikon seems to make one:

http://www.adorama.com/NKAF4.html

Duncan
    I honestly didn't know Nikon made those!

I like the idea of using an accessory viewfinder. The old turret finders are pretty awesome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has nobody discussed the gel filter between the film rails? This was a common subject in many IR articles I've read and quite good for SLR shooting. The only thing better I've seen is a twin lens camera, It only needs the filter on the taking lens.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin