Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,483   Online: 944

Shooter
    35mm

George Lepp filters?

Has anyone used George Lepp's ND filters? Are they neutral in your experience?

I have played with Hitech, got it replaced too but the same magenta (on my E100G slides). I have the round B+W 6 stop and B+W acknowledge it does get a cast due to IR but there is a hot mirror filter available to remedy but the stronger filters don't have this advice online. Yeah .. I am wanting a neutral ND filter square format doing landscapes / cityscapes. I have researched online and the Lee Big stopper appears to be a blue cast. The Hoya appears most neutral but that's round.

It's slide film so gonna be projecting it or on lightbox.

Cheers.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tried Tiffen filters, they are available in round and in square, since they are made for the movie industry they can be a bit expensive. Their quality is superb though.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used singh ray's other filters (grads) with velvia, provia, etc and don't see a color cast. I've been looking at their solid nd's as well. The problem with tiffen's is their 4x4 on up sizes are 4mm thick and won't fit lee or most other lee style holders made for still photography.
    Last edited by wildbill; 08-08-2012 at 08:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to this site http://camerafilters.net/cokin_p_hol...fen_neutra.htm the Tiffen ND fits the Cokin P-Series filter holder.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    According to this site http://camerafilters.net/cokin_p_hol...fen_neutra.htm the Tiffen ND fits the Cokin P-Series filter holder.

Dominik
    Correct. I have one of the tiffen's for the cokin p. I stated that they don't fit 4x4 holders. The smaller sizes aren't made for the movie industry, and none of them I've seen were multicoated. The 2 stop (glass) tiffen grad I had left a color cast. Tiffen filters are OK, not the quality b+w/ schneider provides. Hitech DOES have a new modular holder which just came out that will hold 4mm thick glass filters though I have not tried it.
    Last edited by wildbill; 08-08-2012 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is your film in date? I ask because my out-of-date (and not stored frozen) E100G goes magenta.

Shooter
    35mm
    The film was not expired. Was kept in freezer since I bought it also. Since I import them, v $$ here where I am.
    I shot them with and without the filter of the two frames and adjusted the stops. Tried it on my dxxxxxx too. Same with some of the folks on flickr.

I am thinking about maybe not using solid NDs now. Hitech grads IME is quite neutral. Not the same as if you taken two shots with film and do a blend in software. Not that neutral, IMO the Hitech grad enhances the sky in not a bad way. Not sure if there is such as as a perfectly neutral filter. Maybe shoot when the water is calm and some may argue that long exposures blurs the water that might not be so appealing as a pristine calm lake / water. Then again I cannot blur angry fast moving water. I could resort to round filters that I have already but cannot use grads. Ie., 2 stop B+W which is not perfectly neutral but very neutral and maybe also a C-Pol and stop down the aperture to the extreme. I find my 6 stop B+W does get a magenta cast not as bad as Hitech but B+W confirmed their website's advice that is use a hot mirror after I sent them some pictures.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin