Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,136   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My Gossen died, your thoughts on what meter to replace it with

Today my trusty Gossen Sixtomat digital light meter died on me.

Now, I am looking for something to replace it with. Currently I am considering getting a Sekonic L-308s (prices seem fair, I can't afford anything higher spec from the Sekonic stable)

Does anybody have one of them, if so what are your thoughts?
    Any other meters in more or less the same price bracket I could consider?
    Are secondhand meters a false economy (my Gossen was 2nd hand)

thank you all in advance

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Sekonic 308 and love it. Compact, accurate, tough. Does incident, reflected, cord+cordless flash metering. Have the big Sekonic 558 but usually grad the pocket-size 308 when I don't need spot metering or its flash analyzing capability. Bought my 308 used--no problems whatsoever. Usually available second hand at fair prices, thanks to strong sales. Here's a side-by-side comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forloren/5544867351/

I'd get the newest meter you can afford. I can't see bothering with relics like the early Gossens or Westons or old selenium cell meters.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why don't you consider sending your Gossen meter to Quality Light Metric in Los Angeles for repair?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I'd get the newest meter you can afford. I can't see bothering with relics like the early Gossens or Westons or old selenium cell meters.
    I understand this sentiment, but my most used meter is a Gossen LunaPro (with a battery adapter). I even still use a Weston III on a regular basis. I find that the LunaPro does 80% of my metering needs easily and reliably. I still see value in the older meters... they represent a really good value but not without risk of getting one along the way that has seen better days.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I understand this sentiment, but my most used meter is a Gossen LunaPro (with a battery adapter). I even still use a Weston III on a regular basis. I find that the LunaPro does 80% of my metering needs easily and reliably. I still see value in the older meters... they represent a really good value but not without risk of getting one along the way that has seen better days.
    I have a number of old meter including the Weston II, the Gossen Luna Pro. I take them out and play with them once in a while. Never actually use them to set exposure for the camera. My recommendation to the OP to get a modern meter. If I can't afford a modern meter I would rather shoot without a meter.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I don't at all. "Working" meters aren't necessarily "accurate" meters, however much you venerate the oldies. With the costs of analog workflow getting pricier, they really amount to a false economy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, CGW. We can agree to disagree. But I have had good experiences with using older, working, and accurate meters... as have others per discussions of this type on a variety of photo forums. Knowing that one has an "accurate" meter is a core requirement whether meter is old or new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    all my gossens are 2nd hand. never had aproblem gossen could not fix!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are you shooting chromes? If not, i have not been using a light meter at all recently. For all bw and c41 work i just do the educated guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I don't at all. "Working" meters aren't necessarily "accurate" meters, however much you venerate the oldies. With the costs of analog workflow getting pricier, they really amount to a false economy.
    If a meter isn't "accurate" it isn't "working". Mine are from the 50s to the early 80s, all are accurate and reliable. The two I use most are a Weston Master III and a 1960 ish LunaSix.

The OP should get the best meter he can afford. If a used one, get a 30 day return privelege and have it checked against a known accurate meter.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin