Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,733   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Saltwater protection...

We live on the gulf coast. And today we spent the day in Galveston, and when we were leaving we stopped at a sonic for something to drink. I noticed the speakers and all the iron work was rusted. That's when I realized it was all the salt water.

I'd like to go back and photograph things including the beach, but I absolutely do not want to put my Hassy in danger.

Any recommendations for protecting it? Trash bag maybe?

Shooter
    35mm
    I lived almost on the sea for most of my life and have never had a problem with the air beside the sea. Unless it is blowing a gale and there is a mist blown off the waves in the form of tiny water droplets then you don't have a problem. The most significant danger to any precision instrument close to the sea is sand, that can get into almost any crevice and cause untold damage.

If you are not sure about water droplets blowing off the sea, go for a 10 minute stroll in the area you want to photograph with your arms bared to the air. Then after the 10 minutes, lick the skin and if it tastes salty then you have salt in the air.

However a beast like a Hassie will stand an awful lot of exposure before it begins to affect it, just give it a good wipe down afterwards. make sure you have a filter over the lens, that will save the front element.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I imagine the biggest danger from saltwater, is constant exposure to it.

I'd rather hear you tell a story how your camera narrowly escaped a giant wave that you photographed... Than hear you talk of the time you left the camera in the car and saw a giant wave.

Clean up as soon as shoot is complete and put away in a dry place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not so much worried about stuff in town, so much as I about stuff on the beach itself. The spray is more of what I was worried about.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Reminds me I have to clean the M-2 I took to the beach today to shoot pedestrian feet. I left the UV filter on because I felt a fine mist in my face...

I definitely won't take a valuable camera out on a windy, sand-blasted day. But those are probably the days I should take a good camera out.

Maybe you could pick up a Ricohflex or some other low-cost, reasonable quality TLR...

But you asked about protecting your Hassy.... Are you crafty? When backpacking with OM-4, I used to simply put a ditty bag over the camera on the tripod while walking around. Then when shooting, the camera would be exposed and vulnerable to rain, or whatever.

You might make a simple sack of coated nylon to just throw over the whole get-up. Or maybe just bring a windbreaker and throw it over the camera. Dual purpose... Once the camera is safely in the bag you can put on the windbreaker.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I live on a small Island, just 9 by 5 miles, and take a lot of coastal shots, and as long as you clean you gear before before you put it away then you should not have any problems,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For an occasional strol n shoot on the beach, the salt air will not harm your camera. The problems occur when storing your camera in a damp salt air environment.. such as hte iron railing n speakers you saw that are constantly exposed 24/7.

I kayak on the Long Island Sound with my camera in a dry bag. When I need to shoot I take her out n return it to the bag once done. But realize I do this to protect my equipment from splash n in case I capsize. Otherwise If I were on a normal boat I'd have it on my shoulder.

AS everyone said, wipe down the equipment n store it in a dry place as you normally do. The Hassie went to the moon, why should a beach trip be any different?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    The Hassie went to the moon, why should a beach trip be any different?
    Perhaps not a good analogy.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep it in your bag until you are ready to use it. Clean it up when you are home. UV filter. Trick for reducing damage to tripod. PVC pipe with end caps slipped over legs, and attached with duck tape at top will keep sand and water off legs. Galveston? I'd be sure I had all of it insured on a floater policy (inland marine, personal articles policy.) So says the retired insurance agent who lives in Corpus Christi most of the time with his Hasselblad and friends. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard that if you drop you camera in sea water, the best thing to do is to take the camera and put it in a bucket of fresh water before you take it to a repair facility. The fresh water will help some of the salt migrate out of the camera. I'm assuming that's one of those old all-mechanical cameras.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin