Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,985   Online: 805
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,131
    Images
    340

    Soft shutter button

    I have never used one of these, but are they of any benefit? I’m told a soft release button provides more leverage that can be pressed faster and easier, with less camera shake. Do any APUG members use these?

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,000
    Mostly no, but on my F3 I find the original shutter release to be uncomfortable and a soft shutter button makes it easier to press without "stabbing".

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,940
    I don't know but the F3 has an electrical shutter release so it's soft.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I don't know but the F3 has an electrical shutter release so it's soft.
    Yes it is electrical, but the button is recessed -- low.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    128
    The word 'soft' in soft shutter release is a misnomer. It does nothing to change the resistance or travel distance of the camera's release button. I use one on the Nikon F2 because 1) it raises the level of the release button to a more comfortable position, 2) makes it easier to locate 'by feel' and 3) there isn't a protective collar around the soft release button (vs. the camera's release button) so there isn't any inadvertent pressing on something that won't trigger the shutter. With the index finger resting on the soft release, the finger is also in contact with the shutter spd dial, making it a snap to go from one to the other without having to hunt.

  6. #6
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,103
    Images
    60
    I use one on a Canonet. Some times I'll move it to an OM-2n.

    It permits "rolling" the finger on to the release in order to trigger the shutter.

    They change the geometry, so you may find you like their use.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  7. #7
    bsdunek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,103
    Images
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    The word 'soft' in soft shutter release is a misnomer. It does nothing to change the resistance or travel distance of the camera's release button. I use one on the Nikon F2 because 1) it raises the level of the release button to a more comfortable position, 2) makes it easier to locate 'by feel' and 3) there isn't a protective collar around the soft release button (vs. the camera's release button) so there isn't any inadvertent pressing on something that won't trigger the shutter. With the index finger resting on the soft release, the finger is also in contact with the shutter spd dial, making it a snap to go from one to the other without having to hunt.
    I use them on my Nikon F's for the same reason. Especially with an FTN head - it raises the button making it easier and steadier to press. The one on my Yashica GSN is just comfortable due to the larger area.
    Bruce

    Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!


    BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

  8. #8
    IloveTLRs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    996
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... a soft shutter button makes it easier to press without "stabbing".
    This is why I use one on a Rollei 35
    Those who know, shoot film

  9. #9
    TBN
    TBN is offline
    TBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    38
    I use one on both my OM-1 and my FE2.. I find it very useful. Gives me a much easier press on the button.
    Give it a try - they're not that expensive. !

  10. #10
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,131
    Images
    340
    Thanks for all response, I've now bought one to give it a try.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin