Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,985   Online: 805

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Soft shutter button

I have never used one of these, but are they of any benefit? I’m told a soft release button provides more leverage that can be pressed faster and easier, with less camera shake. Do any APUG members use these?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mostly no, but on my F3 I find the original shutter release to be uncomfortable and a soft shutter button makes it easier to press without "stabbing".

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know but the F3 has an electrical shutter release so it's soft.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I don't know but the F3 has an electrical shutter release so it's soft.
    Yes it is electrical, but the button is recessed -- low.

Shooter
    35mm
    The word 'soft' in soft shutter release is a misnomer. It does nothing to change the resistance or travel distance of the camera's release button. I use one on the Nikon F2 because 1) it raises the level of the release button to a more comfortable position, 2) makes it easier to locate 'by feel' and 3) there isn't a protective collar around the soft release button (vs. the camera's release button) so there isn't any inadvertent pressing on something that won't trigger the shutter. With the index finger resting on the soft release, the finger is also in contact with the shutter spd dial, making it a snap to go from one to the other without having to hunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use one on a Canonet. Some times I'll move it to an OM-2n.

It permits "rolling" the finger on to the release in order to trigger the shutter.

They change the geometry, so you may find you like their use.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    The word 'soft' in soft shutter release is a misnomer. It does nothing to change the resistance or travel distance of the camera's release button. I use one on the Nikon F2 because 1) it raises the level of the release button to a more comfortable position, 2) makes it easier to locate 'by feel' and 3) there isn't a protective collar around the soft release button (vs. the camera's release button) so there isn't any inadvertent pressing on something that won't trigger the shutter. With the index finger resting on the soft release, the finger is also in contact with the shutter spd dial, making it a snap to go from one to the other without having to hunt.
    I use them on my Nikon F's for the same reason. Especially with an FTN head - it raises the button making it easier and steadier to press. The one on my Yashica GSN is just comfortable due to the larger area.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... a soft shutter button makes it easier to press without "stabbing".
    This is why I use one on a Rollei 35
    Those who know, shoot film

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use one on both my OM-1 and my FE2.. I find it very useful. Gives me a much easier press on the button.
    Give it a try - they're not that expensive. !

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for all response, I've now bought one to give it a try.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin