Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,341   Online: 961

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Be happy its just cameras . I had my dad's pro lab to grow up in. I would like to have a full pro lab .
    My toys take up space. Or how about Ron M. he would like a R&D film coating plant only a mile long.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    How do you guys ration with keeping/selling things?
    People are forever confusing 'cost' with 'value'. Regardless of cost, if you place little or no value in an item then sell it. Some people need a price-tag to understand value. What's the word for those people?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    How many of you hold on to equipment you don't use, simply because you're 'attached' to it?

I'm cleaning out my display case of everything that doesn't get used, and I've come to my Nikon FM. Its clean, it works, and its a nice little kit. It hasn't been shot since November of last year, and now that I have an F100, the likelihood of me picking up the FM for an outing is slim to none. The conveniences of the F100 are just too nice. So it just sits there, in the display case.

Some days I want to sell it, some days I don't. I know that it should be somewhere where someone can enjoy it and USE it, but I have become attached to it and knowing that if I sell it I may never find another one like it keeps it where it is.

How do you guys ration with keeping/selling things?
    Well, us collectors, by definition, acquire stuff we don't use, and I have a lot -- several hundreds of cameras many of which work but aren't really cameras you want to try to use. You COULD, but why, when there's a Leica sitting right there?

At times I have gotten rid of things -- gave away a dozen or so movie cameras at a camera show because they were creating a great deal of inattention at $5 each but the little kids loved them, sold the Polaroid SX 70s to some guy in Korea who paid more in shipping than he did for the cameras, and got rid of the Kodak Touristers because they were just butt-ugly.

Some I give to my kids who use them for decoration and to test their wives' patience.
    But I keep the rest because they're neat, or wouldn't bring even $5 each and haven't the heart to toss.

And acquiring, and buying and selling, over the years has allowed me to acquire some nice leicas and rolleiflexes .... which are a joy to use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Somewhere in the closet, I have a box with two 35mm kits that I will probably not use ever again, and will probably never sell. One is an original Asahi Pentax Spotmatic w/ 50 mm f/1.4 Super Takumar and the other is a very well used Pentax KX. There are a whole bunch of cool pentax lenes and accessories in there too. This stuff is far more valuable to me than the price it might fetch in the used market.

I've also got a nice Nikon kit around here somewhere...it is my user outfit...that rarely gets used. I wish there were someplace, convenient and reasonably priced to get a roll of those tiny negs developed...sigh.
    Last edited by BradS; 09-04-2012 at 11:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a large Canon FD body collection. Last year it struck me that I was only using the T90s, so purged most of the rest. I can't, however, bring myself to part with the F1 or New F1.

I have two drawers full of Minolta gear I no longer use, but can't part with. The XD-11 is such a sweet camera.

Aaaaaand I have a pile of EOS gear, multiple copies of several bodies. Hey, you never know when one will break down...

I figure as long as I'm not tripping over the stuff, it can stay.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Christopher:

A Nikon FM makes a great backup for an F100. It is an ideal candidate for a camera that can sit happily unused for a long time, always ready to fill in when the batteries in your other cameras have died.

Just store it without batteries, and exercise it a little every few months.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use all of my equipment, but some as not as much as I would like to.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My rule of thumb on this is simple. If I didn't have it and I had a chance to buy it at the price I would get by selling it, would I buy it? If the answer is yes then keep it. If it is no then sell it.

You could also do the coin flip trick. Heads-sell, tails-keep. When the coin is in the air you will know whether to sell it or keep it. You won't need to see it land....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I do use all of my equipment, but some as not as much as I would like to.

Jeff
    You're gonna hafta get a girlfriend
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Even though I have about 10 cameras I hardly ever use, they are nice to pick up, feel their weight and tactile quality, wind on, click and listen to the shutter at different speeds, watch the light reflect off the bloomed surface of the lens, need I go on, or should I see a psychologist?
    You've summed up some of my thoughts. Cameras (or any item of equipment) have more value than simply their intended purpose. As an engineer, I have an appreciation of the construction and design of some cameras that I rarely or never use. Like werewolves, they tend to emerge late at night when everyone else is in bed, and I marvel at the silky smooth shutter, the amazing lack of backlash in the focussing or the ingenuity of the metering system......
    Dave (better not use my real name here!)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin