Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,226   Online: 1118

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been thinking about this and after more than fifty years of photography the sum total of the equipment I own and don't use are two mm 50 mm lenses and two light meters. I rationalized all my equipment into an outfit that made sense over twenty years ago when I downsized my large family house to a much smaller one when my children left home to go to university, before we moved house we got rid of everything that wasn't absolutely necessary, now all my lenses and accessories fit and work correctly on all my Canon FD bodys, and my set of lenses, prism focusing screens etc. fit both of my two Mamiya C330F bodys.
    I would rather spend any money I can afford to spend on my photography maintaining the equipment I use regularly rather than on more "stuff" I don't use, I wonder how many of the people who have dozens of cameras they don't use last had the ones they do use regularly C.L.A.d
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-05-2012 at 08:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a devoted minimalist and am in the process of getting my stash down to only the three cameras that I use regularly.

At this point, I have only two cameras left to find new homes for. Problem is their current market value is low enough that I would rather just keep them for display as examples of amazing industrial art. However... that violates my minimalist urges... which makes me want to sell... which...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I have far more Nikon 35mm bodies that I can reasonably use (10 at last count) at one time, I do make a point of rotating through my "inventory" to keep all in functioning order. The exceptions, however, are a pair of mid-70s chrome F2s (both with DE-1 finders) that are each in need of a CLA. I vacillate between sending the pair to Sover Wong for the necessary work and leaving them in the equipment cupboard for eventual disassembly as parts cameras...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    One of the universal truths I discovered long ago is that you'll always need something you recently discarded or disposed of.

This has happened to me so many times that it's as certain as the sunrise.

I avoid the problem now by keeping everything.

- Leigh
    So true... I scrapped a jobo cpp 4111 a year ago thinking I'd never ever use it again - a few months later I was back shooting film. Still hurts thinking about it, no matter how old it was and not knowing whether it even worked after sitting in the cellar for about 8 years after last using it. I keep telling myself it was a goner just to put my mind at ease
    I could however never sell my EOS 300, the first camera I bought with my own money nor my Agfa Optima which was given to my father by his employer decades ago and he sort of passed it on to me (I always used it as a kid, he never officially gave it to me )

oh, and hi APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can remember I found it a very liberating feeling to get rid of all the stuff we didn't use, not just photographic equipment, but household junk that we had accumulated in nearly twenty years in our last house.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 3 I should get rid of, yashica gsn - bad seals and POD that will go sometime soon probably, a fed 5b bad slow speeds but great otherwise and a perkeo1 great little folder but just don't use it since I got the pentax 645. The first two I wouldn't get enough for both to cover the cost to me for one of them debating just putting them in the trash to get rid of them. I keep telling myself I'm going to take I'll take the perkeo out.I should sell it to someone who will use it and appreciate it as a user.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just written a post about this very subject on my blog. I think I said it was like trying to decide which of your children to keep and which to give up for adoption. If you're like me and find it hard to part with much-loved cameras, you end up with more than 30 - and that's just the 35mm cameras. My 120 "collection" has been growing as well...
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My GAS tends to manifest itself a bit differently. I don't own a lot of cameras, in fact I have standardized on a scant few (basically one per format). But when I do get one, then I feel like I need to own the complete system. For my RZ67 ProIID I just bought the battery extension that allows you to keep the battery for the camera in your clothes when shooting in freezing temperatures. I will never, ever, ever use this thing. Yet.... I now own it...

lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm the same. I have speed finders for both versions of Canon F-1, never use them, will never part with them. Unless I part with the system, of course. Heh. Small chance of that happening, even if I haven't used either camera for a year and more...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cherry View Post
    My GAS tends to manifest itself a bit differently. I don't own a lot of cameras, in fact I have standardized on a scant few (basically one per format). But when I do get one, then I feel like I need to own the complete system. For my RZ67 ProIID I just bought the battery extension that allows you to keep the battery for the camera in your clothes when shooting in freezing temperatures. I will never, ever, ever use this thing. Yet.... I now own it...

lol

You mean you aren't shooting Antarctica any time soon? LOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin