Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,419   Online: 706

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Holding on to equipment you don't use....

How many of you hold on to equipment you don't use, simply because you're 'attached' to it?

I'm cleaning out my display case of everything that doesn't get used, and I've come to my Nikon FM. Its clean, it works, and its a nice little kit. It hasn't been shot since November of last year, and now that I have an F100, the likelihood of me picking up the FM for an outing is slim to none. The conveniences of the F100 are just too nice. So it just sits there, in the display case.

Some days I want to sell it, some days I don't. I know that it should be somewhere where someone can enjoy it and USE it, but I have become attached to it and knowing that if I sell it I may never find another one like it keeps it where it is.

How do you guys ration with keeping/selling things?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I expect to use all my cameras now and again but there are only three I use regularly - Voigtlander Vito II, Vitomatic II and ZI Contessamat. I am happy for the others to sit there for a few months not earning their keep.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last November I went on a purge of unused/rarely used gear and started selling on ebay,Rapid Omega,various folding cameras etc,then I moved on to stuff that I DiD use- the RB67,c330 s-I can't stop and now I'm left with the essentials-Until I buy more!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What really bugs me are the pieces of equipment purchased that I've never used, or only used once or twice. I don't have a huge collection or anything, but I do need to purge a few things. For some reason it seems easier to buy than sell.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    For some reason it seems easier to buy than sell.
    Amen, brother.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not oa gear whore but I buy what I need and want. Some of my older gear goes un-used but I just hang onto it... not because of sentimental attachment but mostly because selling is a hassle and the few times I did sell gear I got screwed too often by low-life buyers.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Even though I have about 10 cameras I hardly ever use, they are nice to pick up, feel their weight and tactile quality, wind on, click and listen to the shutter at different speeds, watch the light reflect off the bloomed surface of the lens, need I go on, or should I see a psychologist?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tend to give away things which I am not using but I still have and will not get rid of an Edixa Prismaflex and a Nikon FG.

The Edixa because it was my first 35mm SLR which my father gave me in 1980 and the FG because it was my first Nikon (also from my father).

And now that I have inherited my father's collection (all of which I am keeping) there is even more incentive to thin out my own collection.

Steve.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ye, that's me. i love my cameras,and it hurts to part with them.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    How many of you hold on to equipment you don't use, simply because you're 'attached' to it?
    Guilty as charged. Not only that, but I yearn for gear I used to have that I know I won't use. I shot with a Nikon F3 with MD-4 for years and loved it. When it was stolen twenty five years ago I didn't replace it, and even though I hardly shoot 35mm anymore and even though I have many other 35mm cameras, some crazy part of me wants to buy an F3 again. It's a sickness.

Jonathan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin