Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,375   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I divide my attention between three alter-egos... The photographer, the lab-rat and the printer.

The lab-rat is welcome to geek out to eternity...

The printer keeps demanding something worthwhile to print...

And somewhere along the lines the photographer does his best to deliver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some photographers like to test lenses, cameras, film and chemistry and yet create soulless photographs and that's fine. For me, Geekery and technique should serve the art.

I'm sure it's like wine making or cooking. Science should serve the art.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use stand development as my standard developing technique, I love it. Rodinal 1:100 and Tri-X / Foma 400
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The differences between different films and developers can be very slight. Do yourself a favour and choose one film and one developer and use nothing else for a year. That's the easiest and quickest way of gaining consistency and producing good negatives for the darkroom. Leave the chopping and changing and experimentation until you've mastered the basics.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Robbins View Post
    The differences between different films and developers can be very slight. Do yourself a favour and choose one film and one developer and use nothing else for a year. That's the easiest and quickest way of gaining consistency and producing good negatives for the darkroom. Leave the chopping and changing and experimentation until you've mastered the basics.
    You're absolutely correct. I'd even go so far as to say use one lens, too.

And by the bye, "geekery" is not the right word. "Nerdery" would be more correct; a geek was a sideshow freak who bit the heads off snakes and chickens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    And by the bye, "geekery" is not the right word. "Nerdery" would be more correct; a geek was a sideshow freak who bit the heads off snakes and chickens.
    Don't be such a geek.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey now, don't bite his head off!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Godless heathens, the whole boiling of you. No respect for language.... buncha geeks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't forget there are also art geeks, who have no respect for those incy wincy details - or art in most cases. They call them Lomogra... oh, to hell with it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/int...os-in-pictures

I thought the faux panorama with the horse looked interesting, but on closer inspection, meh. That is to say, I didn't like the details. Shoot me - but preferably with a decent camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the comments section of the Guardian artical: "it's not "Lomography" it's PHOTOGRAPHY. Stop enabling these people!

"Lomo" and "Lomography" are the brand names for a bunch of scammers who basically sell existing cameras (or silly, painted versions of existing cameras) in fancy packages for twice the price. Cheap cameras with plastic lenses, Russian knockoffs of fancier cameras, 35mm film and 120 film - all have existed for decades, long before the Lomo folks figured out that they could bilk idiots by putting a $40 Holga in a colourful box with one roll of bad film and charge $80 for it. Get your Holga on eBay from China where they are made and save a bundle.

You can pick up great, simple, cheap cameras (Agfas, Holgas, Kodaks, Kievs, FEDs, etc) at jumble sales, second-hand shops, or on the internet (eBay etc) for nothing. Do that, take pictures, and call it what it is - analogue photography."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin