Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,647   Online: 937

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

rbarker, Congrats! sounds like you are a fully functioning fellow now! Tee Hee. I've done some modelling, nude. Now that was scary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, this is coming from a pilot.

The best approach is to go to a local FBO and take an intro flight lesson. They will give you about 30 minutes at the contols in the air. Fear is conquered through knowledge, understanding and participation.

If you were going to make a habit of that work, knowing how to fly the aircraft and land it would be very.. umm.. useful if the pilot has a stroke.

No parachute required.
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everything looks safe through the viewfinder, so go out and enjoy Good shooting!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    People really don't know how it feels to have a phobia unless they have one. The best I can think of is to take a homecat and hold it out of the window from the fifth floor.
    I have a big problem with heights. Last time I joined an excursion of the local mountain trekking club. The friend who invited me assured me it was the easiest trek ever and did not include any mountain climbing. Well by the time I was exausted from walking, he pointed out to a mountain peak and told me this was the destination.
    After a lot of convincing I followed him. After all, I had dragged my Hassy around for the whole trip and had not other choice but to follow if I wanted to go back home. Half way up, I froze. I couldn't go down, I couldn't go up. Most embarassingly, I closed my eyes shut, he took by hand and slowly we walked up the tiny path. On the top was a small church that I spent most of the time since there was hardly anything around it.
    Going back down was... well... best way to explain was that at a certain point, I broke down in tears and started yelling that I won't make it. I am sure it was pretty funny to the others.
    In any case. I'll keep on shooting mountains from a distance. It was not fun, I did not overcome any phobias and I will not doing again. Ever.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    in the dark:
    you may find that flying is easier than being on a mountain or tall building.
    i fear heights(tall buildiings & ladders) but there's nothing like flying. especally in helicopters. if your new job allows it, try it. the closest thing you can get to riding a motorcycle @ 100mph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone is sure different. Like BW Girl I hate and fear snakes, which is where my comment came from about your body not letting you live in abject fear for too long. I have to be where snakes are if I want to work, so I do it. I don't like them and I'm extra careful, but I can do it now without my heart pounding a mile a minute.

I also, like Arigram, hate heights and since I can usually avoid climbing (either in cliffs, ladders or buidlings), I do. You would also not find me in a cave.

But I used to fly my own plane, and heights in an airplane never bothered me a bit.

If flying really is a serious phobia, and you have to do it for work, I would take JD Morgan's advice and go take a few flying lessons.

I disagree with Shaggy's comment about helicopters however. They have all the gliding characteristics of a rock. However, like I said in the beginning, everyone sure is different!
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

IF I make it thru this one situation, I think I will take a few flying lessons. I know cars scared me to death as a kid, but learning to drive DID help that. I still prefer to be the driver always because I find other drivers don't take driving seriously enough, BUT I can get in a car with another driver without the hyper anxiety of the past.

At this point, I have been told we are going to try for tomorrow around 10:30am. But it still is so socked in I find it hard to believe we will actually make it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by inthedark
    IF I make it thru this one situation, I think I will take a few flying lessons. I know cars scared me to death as a kid, but learning to drive DID help that. I still prefer to be the driver always because I find other drivers don't take driving seriously enough, BUT I can get in a car with another driver without the hyper anxiety of the past.

At this point, I have been told we are going to try for tomorrow around 10:30am. But it still is so socked in I find it hard to believe we will actually make it.
    Last I heard there were some flying courses specifically tailored as 'just in case you suddenly have to' type courses intended for spouses and other frequent passengers of light aircraft. At age 45, EKGs become part of a pilot's regular FAA physical (time between physicals and flight reviews depends on type of ticket held etc.). That requirement is there for a reason.

From what I know, the course will teach only what you would need to know to suddenly be PIC (pilot in command) with the goal of getting the aircraft on the ground ASAP safely. Unfortunately, it also means that you CANNOT help the stricken pilot with CPR or anything else. Someone must fly and land that aircraft.

Guard thy airspeed closely.. lest the earth rise up and smite thee mightily.

Regarding fear of heights -- I used to think I was afraid of heights but when I took a skydiving course (before I was a pilot) my instructor pretty much convinced me that was false. He said we are conditioned by our parents at a young age to be afraid of falling. Like 'be very careful, you might fall down and get hurt' or 'careful trippin' on those steps, you might fall and break your neck' etc. Fear of falling and height phobia are different. I do not like to get real close to the edge when standing on a 20 story roof, but if I have my rappelling gear on it doesn't bother me to rope over the side.
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an untested theory that people with poor senses of balance (like me) are afraid of heights. Balance is more important on high mountain trails, ladders and tightropes than it is in an airplane.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    I have an untested theory that people with poor senses of balance (like me) are afraid of heights. Balance is more important on high mountain trails, ladders and tightropes than it is in an airplane.
    You could have a very valid theory there. I hate hights (complete phobia) but I love flying. Bit sad really as I use to love caving and absailing but with age came the phobia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin