Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,275   Online: 778

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Lightmeter Sekonic L-758DR and Gossen Spotmeter

Hello
    In the past I used the Gossen Spotmeter for Zone system.
    With this lightmeter I can measure shadow, define the zone, than measure the light, define the zone and then I can expand or compressed the contrast.
    The Gossen show me than also the n+1 or n-1 factors for my film developing.
    Can the Sekonic L-758DR work in the same way ?

Jochen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well in digital readouts you will have to do the calculations yourself as there is no dial to speak of.

Still love my analog Pentax Spot over any digital no matter how good they are.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Well in digital readouts you will have to do the calculations yourself as there is no dial to speak of.

Still love my analog Pentax Spot over any digital no matter how good they are.
    Top of the range digital light meters like the Sekonic L 758, Gossen Starlite, Kenko KFM 2010, Paul have analogue and digital readouts the Starlite has a dedicated Zone facility in addition .
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Paul and Ben.
    Sorry, I'm not an english native speaker ;-( I need an english dictionary to translate your answers and need time.

"Can the Sekonic L-758DR work in the same way ?"

Please quick answer:

Yes or No.

Jochen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Sekonic doesn't have a Zone mode like the Gossen Ultra-Spot did.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only one that has a dedicated Zone mode is the Gossen Starlte, read the manual http://www.gossen-photo.de/pdf/ba_starlite2_en.pdf
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here is a Zone System sticker for the L-758DR:

Zone Sticker for L-758DR

Print it out on sticker paper. Put sticker centered on the bottom border of the LCD panel. Cover the panel and sticker with a "cellphone" type screen protector.

1. Set meter to daylight [T] (shutter priority) mode. So f/stops display on bottom scale.
    2. Set meter to spotmeter mode.
    3. Take a single spot meter reading, for example take a shadow spotmeter reading.
    4. The arrow points move around with the meter reading. You can change shutter speed display on the meter and the arrow points will move.

The sticker is a reminder of which Zones go with the arrow points. In the picture example, to place the shadow reading on Zone II, use f/45.

5. Take additional single spotmeter readings but do not use memory. If the same f/stop "falls" on the Zone you want that spot in every case, then you have a negative to develop to "N". If all the readings are close together, then you probably have "N+1".

The weakness of this idea: I can't directly get N+ and N- values.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for answers.

Jochen

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin