Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,023   Online: 1262

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

1 cell battery alternative to (2) CR2 batteries?

Hey all,

Having just taken receipt of a Contax G2 kit, I was wondering if someone makes a battery cell that is equivalent to (2) CR2 batteries stacked together. You see, my G2 body, and TLA200 flash both take (2) CR2 batteries, and was thinking that it would be easier to have (2) larger sized batteries to keep in the bag vs (4) smaller ones...

Preferably rechargeables too, if possible. I take my used non-rechargeable batteries to the quarterly city e-waste day, but prefer knowing I'm not creating a lot of waste by using rechargeables instead.

thanks in advance!

Dan

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are different lithium-2-cell packs on the market intended for cameras, all consists of two cylindrical lithium cells mounted next to eachother, circuited in series and have contacts at one side.

If I understand you correct, you need a single-cell replacement for two cells combined in a row, with ordinary contacts?
    If so, wrap two cells in tape or shrink them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rechargeable batteries are usually not an option for cameras unless the camera has been specifically designed for them. Any replacement battery(s) must have voltage, amperage, and discharge curves identical to the recommended battery.

The following batteries are NOT interchangeable for electronics use because of the voltage differences.

carbon-zinc, alkaline 1.5v
    ni-cad rechargeable 1.2v
    lithium > 3.0 v

On the basis of voltage a single lithium battery may be used to replace TWO alkaline batteries that are used in series but the amperage may not be correct.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-02-2012 at 11:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A CR2 is 15mm diameter by 27 mm long; a double long would by 15mm by 54mm - not a standard size, and you would need one with a 6V output.

There is a "15270" Li-Ion battery in the same size as a CR2. Newer Li-Ion batteries are rated at the same 3.0V output voltage as Li cells, and some 15270's are sold as "rechargeable CR2 batteries".

There are companies that will make you up a 15x54mm 6V Li-Ion battery pack if you really truly want one, but it will: (1) cost a whole lot more than two bog standard "Li-Ion CR2's"; (2) not fit any commercially available charger. Li-Ion cells can not be charged in a series configuration without special monitoring terminals - charging Li-Ion cells without monitoring can lead to jetting flames from the batteries. Lithium isn't happy when it is let out to play with the other elements.

Li-Ion cells have quite a few dissadvantages at the consumer level. They loose power just sitting around and are in constant need of recharging. Keeping them at-the-ready in an unsophisticated charger really eats into their life. In comparison, non-rechargeable Li cells keep their power for 10 years or more (I have some that are going strong after 30 years [though in applications that take only a breath of power]). There are lots and lots of different Li-Ion chemistries available and some are better or worse than others for self-discharge, charge-cycle lifetimes, internal resistance, discharge profile, etc., etc.. Unless you are dealing directly with the battery maker as an OEM it is difficult to know just what sort of Li-Ion battery you are buying. No-name ebay Chinese batteries may be very good or they may be factory rejects sold by a recycling firm. (*)

Amperage considerations aren't a big concern in a photographic application. Expect the motor to run slower and the flash to take longer to charge as the batteries age, that's about it.

That isn't to say there may not be problems. There are some CR123-sized Li batteries that are meant for non-photographic applications - they are considerably cheaper but they can't run a camera because the internal resistance is too high. It is always a good idea to check that the battery is sold for "photographic applications" [or lacking that, for "toys and games"].

Well designed equipment that uses batteries will take most any power you throw at it and not get damaged. It has to, as users will shove most anything that fits [and a whole lot that doesn't] into that ole' battery hole.

--

(*) I am presently using a lot of 'recycled' Chinese factory waste, paying $2 for an RF power connector rather than $45. For breadboarding 6KV RF power electronics [AKA basement pyrotechnics] who really cares what the gold plating on the (soon to be melted) connectors looks like.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 10-02-2012 at 01:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the Radio Shack Lith Ion (3V) rechargables, 2 cell set, with a charger I never used. Someone gave this to me a few months ago. I was going to use it but I never use the 35mm camera it was intened for.

I'd like to sell it (cheap) so it won't sit around n go to waste.

If you're interested, e-mail me?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy a bigger camera bag, Dan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The CR2 batteries are a buck at batteryjunction.com. Sorry this doesn't really address your question directly, as far as eliminating waste, but their site doesn't show the type of altnernative you are asking about, and I hope you don't mind me just mentioning this as an economical solution, even though you didn't mention the cost factor. As far as these, they seem to work ok for me. Don't know much about them, except they work. Here is what they say:

TITANIUM CR2 Lithium Battery 3V

Characteristics:
    •Nominal Voltage: 3V
    •Nominal Capacity: 750 mAh
    •Maximum Constant Discharge Current: 1125mA
    •Maximum Pulse Discharge Current: 2250 mAh
    •Low self-discharge rate
    •Wide temperature usage range: -20 C ~ +60 C
    •Nominal Weight: 11g

Applications: Cameras, Medical treatment instrument, Lights, Radio, Electronic lock, Electronic meter (water meter, gas meter, etc), Power source of memory backup meter

Caution: This is one time use, primary, CR2 lithium battery. Never recharge primary batteries. Charging may cause gas evolution or internal short circuit, followed by fire or explosion!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan,

"one cell battery" is an oxymoron.

Emil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just went shopping for two replacement cr2 batteries for my F65. The would come to $40, probably more than the damn camera is worth. I'd be happy with the 1$ Titanium CR2's. I'll google the batteryjunction.com website.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tape two together with 2" paper tape. Wow!
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin