Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,419   Online: 825

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Sekonic L-758DR Misunderstanding of measuring shadow and light

I start a new thread because I don't understand the solution from Greg Davis in http://www.apug.org/forums/forum45/8...ystem-how.html No. 4.

I have modified Greg's solution from shutter speed to aperture. Hope this is right ?

"-Set the meter to ambient light with the aperture highlighted and use the spot meter"
    I have it done

"-Meter the low area of your scene"
    I have it done. Result t=4s, f=16.0

"-Hold the MID.TONE button and scroll the wheel while watching the longer time numbers and the mark. You should see the small arrows shift as you scroll"
    I have it done. Result t=1/2 s, f=16.0. In M there stand 1. One value stored ? I don't see arrows on scale, only marks.

"-Continue scrolling until the mark is on the Zone you want."
    See above

"-Press the memory button."
    a) I have it done by holding MID.TONE because in display I see 4s, 16.0. Is this right ?
    b) I have it done without holding MID.TONE because in display I see 4s, 16.0. Is this right ?
    in a) and b) there is a small mark above -3 in lower scale. OK, I move 3 zones and define zone II.

Please give feedback.

Jochen
    Last edited by spassig; 10-03-2012 at 12:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    clear memory - hold mode and press m.clear
    1) set your ISO
    2) switch mode to ambient (sun symbol) / aperture
    3) set your aperture
    4) using spot meter measure your shadow with details, press memory button (one on opposite side of measuring button)
    5) using spot meter measure your highlights with details, press memory button
    6) on the analog scale below you will see your scene range =bigger marking points (ignore flashing ones) - you can tell if this is within range of your film or not (each number is 1 stop). To find out your shutter speed please see below
    7) lets assume you want to position your shadow with details on zone III (meter measure it as zone V), press and hold mid.tone button and while holding it rotate jog wheel DOWN until left mark will be on top of -2 on the scale. Without releasing mid.tone button note T value - this will be your shutter speed for that ISO and F stop with shadows with details on zone III
    Still without releasing mod.tone button Right mark will show you where you higlights with details will be. 0 on the scale will be zone V, so if for example your right mark will be on top of +3, your highlights will be on zone VIII.

I'm not saying that this is the perfect or the only one method of course
    Last edited by wiedzmin; 10-03-2012 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    after some additional testing

for b/w or color negative film

1) set your ISO
    3) set your aperture
    4) using spot meter measure your highlights with details, press memory button (one on the opposite side of measuring button)
    5) using spot meter measure your shadows with details, press memory button
    6) on the analog scale below you will see your scene range =bigger marking points (ignore flashing ones) - you can tell if this is within range of your film or not (each number is 1 stop). To find out your shutter speed please see below
    7) lets assume you want to position your shadow with details on zone III (meter measure it as zone V), press and hold mid.tone button and while holding it rotate jog wheel UP until LEFT mark will be on top of -2 on the scale (10 clicks on jog wheel = 1 stop). Without releasing mid.tone button note T value - this will be your shutter speed for that ISO and F stop with shadows with details on zone III
    Right mark will show you where you highlights with details will be. 0 on the scale will be zone V, so if for example your right mark will be on top of +3, your highlights will be on zone VIII.

If you would like to recall correct exposure for shadows press and hold mode and press mid.tone, after you can release both keys, now M 0 below battery indicator will start flashing and on display you will see again values T and F for shadows in zone III

for transparency film

1) set your ISO
    3) set your aperture
    4) using spot meter measure your shadows with details, press memory button (one on the opposite side of measuring button)
    5) using spot meter measure your highlights with details, press memory button
    7) for transparencies highlights should be ~ on zone VI+1/2 - VII (1.5 - 2 stops above zone V), press and hold mid.tone button and while holding it rotate jog wheel DOWN until RIGHT mark will be between +1 and 5 clicks and +2 on the scale (10 clicks on jog wheel = 1 stop). Without releasing mid.tone button note T value - this will be your shutter speed for that ISO and F stop with highlights with details on selected zone.
    Left mark will show you where you shadows with details will be. 0 on the scale will be zone V, so if for example your right mark will be on top of +2, your highlights will be on zone VII.

If you would like to recall correct exposure for highlights press and hold mode and press mid.tone, after you can release both keys, now M 0 below battery indicator will start flashing and on display you will see T and F for highlights in selected zone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for this - I found it really useful.

[QUOTE=wiedzmin;1402369]after some additional testing

for b/w or color negative film

1) set your ISO
    3) set your aperture
    4) using spot meter measure your highlights with details, press memory button (one on the opposite side of measuring button)
    5) using spot meter measure your shadows with details, press memory button
    7) lets assume you want to position your shadow with details on zone III (meter measure it as zone V), press and hold mid.tone button and while holding it rotate jog wheel UP until LEFT mark will be on top of -2 on the scale (10 clicks on jog wheel = 1 stop). Without releasing mid.tone button note T value - this will be your shutter speed for that ISO and F stop with shadows with details on zone III
    Right mark will show you where you highlights with details will be. 0 on the scale will be zone V, so if for example your right mark will be on top of +3, your highlights will be on zone VIII.

If you would like to recall correct exposure for shadows press and hold mode and press mid.tone, after you can release both keys, now M 0 below battery indicator will start flashing and on display you will see again values T and F for shadows in zone III
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the feedback.
    It's helpful.

Jochen

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin