Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,007   Online: 1169

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Now, when the film camera Apocalypse happens, and cameras become scarce, then I'll be sitting pretty. But I'm not holding my breath.
    If you do then your heirs can fight over them. Or not.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with those posts predicting that the supply problem is going to be more with film than film cameras. I'm confident my Nikon F, and possibly my FM2n's will outlast me. However, film supply could be more uncertain. Already Kodak appear to have discontinued tranny film, with the result that Fuji have hiked their prices, already Velvia/Provia here in the UK, is priced at £9 per 35mm cassette, and that's without processing charges!.......Thankfully Agfa Precisa 100 asa has been relaunched at a price that used to be paid for Provia. Hopefully they'll continue to manufacture it at a reasonable price.

Rising prices of film and processing materials are the main threat to the future of film photography in my opinion.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Thankfully Agfa Precisa 100 asa has been relaunched at a price that used to be paid for Provia. Hopefully they'll continue to manufacture it at a reasonable price.

Current AgfaPhoto Precisa 100 CT is not a relaunch of the late Agfa Precisa 100 CT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't remember when I bought a new camera. All the ones I bought have been used.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, I think there is at least one new film camera available in each of the main categories I can think of, except for Point & Shoot. This makes sense since the P&S has always traditionally been used by consumers who value convenience above everything and, despite all its good points, analog today is not the most convenient format - and even here, one could consider the disposable 35mm camera the successor to the P&S (although with considerable sacrifice of IQ).

Entry 35mm DSLR - Nikon FM10 (I hate the use of this name for a plastic camera) and Vivitar V3800N.
    Pro 35mm DSLR - Nikon F6, Nikon F100 (no longer manufactured new, but available NOS).
    35mm RF - Leica M7 and MP, Zeiss Ikon, CV Bessa.
    MF DSLR - Hasselblad 503CW, Mamiya RZ-67.
    MF RF - Mamiya 7, Fuji GF670 and 670W (and CV branded equivalents).
    MF TLR - Rolleiflex 2.8 FX.
    LF - a wide variety from Chamonix, Arca-Swiss, Linhoff, Wista etc.

There's even a MF super-wide viewfinder camera available - the Alpa WA with Schneider 36mm f/5.6, viewfinder and 6x9 back.

So despite the lack of choice in most segments, I think there is at least one new film camera available for pretty much any photographic requirement, if one is prepared to spend the money. Wherein lies the rub, because they are not cheap and most of us prefer to buy second hand given the availability and pricing of excellent used equipment, which in turn makes it uneconomical for manufacturers to introduce new models except in the most specialized niche markets.
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 10-14-2012 at 12:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only bought two new cameras in the last fifty nine years, no wonder the camera industry is going down the tubes
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've only bought two new cameras in the last fifty nine years, no wonder the camera industry is going down the tubes
    Wow. I've never purchased a new camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another consideration is who is going to service the cameras when the current repairers have retired or died ?, because it's more difficult than ever these days to get classic cameras repaired.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Another consideration is who is going to service the cameras when the current repairers have retired or died ?, because it's more difficult than ever these days to get classic cameras repaired.
    I service mine myself. Not that they ever break, CLA when needed. Also, I have the facilities to make just about any part for just about any mechanical camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I service mine myself. Not that they ever break, CLA when needed. Also, I have the facilities to make just about any part for just about any mechanical camera.
    I was speaking in general, if you can service your own equipment good for you. Modern cameras are such complex electro/mechanical devices that the average camera user is incapable of servicing them, they lack the training skill ,knowledge, tools, and test equipment and more often than not make door stops of their cameras.
    I was an apprentice trained precision engineer who spent twelve years working in the aircraft industry, I have all the service manuals for my cameras, but the more I look at them, the more I realize that to service them and their electronics is beyond my tools equipment and capability because I know my limitations.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin