Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,010   Online: 1189

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries

£90 to spend...

Dear Apug,

I have acquired around £90 to spend on general analogue photography gear before a ten day long trip to New York. I already have a Canon A-1, Zenit ES (the photo sniper bit of which I won't take, for obvious reasons) and a Balda Juwella. Ive got a bit of film sitting around (velvia for the A-1), some Ilford stuff... But not enough for a whole trip. So I was wondering if you could recommend what I should spend it on- a new (old) camera which is wildly different to the ones mentioned above, more film or whatever. I know this is probably the wrong forum, so if mods could move it that would be cool

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Also, will I get hassled if I try to shoot street scenes?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A decent tripod and a cable release - Shop around and you should be able to find a decent lightweight one, possibly even in carbon fibre. If you're planning on evening/night time shots or using a long lens, a tripod is an essential investment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Especially New York, and also other touristy places, where almost every other person is holding a camera are great for hassle free shooting, especially people. New Yorkers are certainly used to it. With a bit of common sense you should be able to get good pictures without being hassled, of course it depends on your style. Shooting like Bruce Gilden is not for the faint of heart (check youtube if you don't know him). A tripod might be problematic during rush hour on busy sidewalks though.
    If I were you I would invest in fast film, you will be shooting in the shade a lot. Enjoy your trip!

ps: I would assume that film is cheaper at B&H Photo in NYC than in England, plus you don't have to haul it there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    @ paul_c5x4 Thanks, I already have a decent tripod (forgot to mention it) but I will get a new cable
    release (last one broke after using it having forgotten to wind the film on).

@rhcgn Thanks! Looking at their website that seems like a good idea. Also thanks for the Bruce Gilden mention, Ive just looked him up and whoa!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To me, the city is about street shooting so one camera and one fast lens (35mm or so)......although if you hang out in Central Park, a small 3 lens set would be nice. You definitely want a fast prime lens. The city can be visually busy and being able to isolate people with a large aperture is a good thing. The other thing I'd do is to stick to fast color or BW. I tend to shoot a lot of Tri-X or Tmax-400 in the city.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Film. £90 is loose change where analog photography is concerned.

Buy gear when you have 'gear money'.

Shooter
    35mm
    Buy film, in NYC.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Could have bought the Zenit and Juwella combined for £90... I was hoping for some ideas or links for stuff I could get second hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OEyers View Post
    I was hoping for some ideas or links for stuff I could get second hand.
    B&H has a big used department of equipment, and quite a lot of analog stuff. Also I remember a store in tribeca which was either on broadway or lafayette street, I rented a few flashes and softboxes there.stuff there, the guys were awesome, as were the prices. They had lots of film and darkroom stuff too. (maybe a new yorker here knows the name, I can't remember. There are some things that are way cheaper in the US than in Europe. For example if you are looking for a pelican case, they cost almost half than in Germany. (lots of other things too of course).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin