Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,484   Online: 890

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad that you are picking up the fly rod.... I'm in a similar spot myself..... I have been re-introduced to guitar playing after leaving it alone for 30 years or so! So a year ago, bought a used acoustic/electric.. A lightly used Fender Malibu acoustic electric actually..... Then in June of this year, i bought a jumbo Epiphone EJ200 acoustic electric..... Now i have a used Fender American made Strat on 30 day hold at guitar center.. They do that near me so as to make sure its not stolen. This purchase was not something i was going to do at first as i was in the market for a telecaster nashville (made in mexico) for a lot less.. When the sales guy said we are out the nashville's but check this out.. It was used like once or twice at most. Just finger prints, and strap still in bag, case as new for only $100 more than the Mexican made telecaster was going to be... $599 It was a little more, but saved me having lay out over $1100 to buy the strat new. I lucked out in being in the right place at the right time for once.. Not something that happens a lot to me! When something quality comes along at a price that is a no brainer.... Seize the day as they say...... Now I've gone and played a Martin acoustic...... That was a mistake and realized that with my first two acoustic purchases, i could have bought the Martin guitar and be happy... Sigh.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Glad that you are picking up the fly rod.... I'm in a similar spot myself..... I have been re-introduced to guitar playing after leaving it alone for 30 years or so! So a year ago, bought a used acoustic/electric.. A lightly used Fender Malibu acoustic electric actually..... Then in June of this year, i bought a jumbo Epiphone EJ200 acoustic electric..... Now i have a used Fender American made Strat on 30 day hold at guitar center.. They do that near me so as to make sure its not stolen. This purchase was not something i was going to do at first as i was in the market for a telecaster nashville (made in mexico) for a lot less.. When the sales guy said we are out the nashville's but check this out.. It was used like once or twice at most. Just finger prints, and strap still in bag, case as new for only $100 more than the Mexican made telecaster was going to be... $599 It was a little more, but saved me having lay out over $1100 to buy the strat new. I lucked out in being in the right place at the right time for once.. Not something that happens a lot to me! When something quality comes along at a price that is a no brainer.... Seize the day as they say...... Now I've gone and played a Martin acoustic...... That was a mistake and realized that with my first two acoustic purchases, i could have bought the Martin guitar and be happy... Sigh.
    Andrew, how about a black Les Paul?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    The other way is to buy used top-of-the-range kit.

I have a 1/2" drive ratchet from the wonderfully named "King Dick" (made in Britain in the days when we still did heavy engineering). I merely stripped it down, cleaned everything with WD40 and then washing up liquid as a degreaser, and reassembled it with a fresh dollop of axle grease in the mechanism. In terms of feel it's spot on, precise, solid, but not too heavy and not at all difficult to use. I don't use it anything like as much as the manufacturer evidently intended (I'm not a pro, but do as much of my own car servicing as I feel comfortable with). Wonder how many of these are lurking at the back of old sheds while young mechanics pay mad sums for Snap-On or similar!

As for turntables you can often find something which would once have been very upmarket for pennies. I have a direct drive GEC one (A3000-P) which includes fine adjustment and a built-in strobe to set the speed perfectly. I did have to replace the cartridge as I couldn't find a stylus, and I might well replace the headshell in the end as it seems to have the same fitting as much newer ones. Cost about £25 as it doesn't seem a particularly well-known name, but works superbly, plays at the correct speeds, and sounds good even with a cheap stylus on.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I was 16 my family took a trip to Mexico and Baja California. For the trip we bought really nice high tech fishing gear.

At Cabo San Lucas at the time there was a cannery pier that the locals fished on, we decided to give it a try there. The water was beautiful and clear, we actually watched the fish "sniff" and "chase" our hooks but we couldn't get any thing to really bite.

Given the lack of success the morning turned into people watching mostly, the locals were doing better using little more than sticks. That was bad enough but then another local wanders up with 2 Coke cans (steel) wrapped in line, big hook on one, medium hook on the other.

This gentleman borrowed a piece of chum from a buddy and baits the medium hook. Inside 5-minutes he pulls in a Perch that would have made a fine meal for four, nope. Time for the big hook, he sticks it through the body then when the barb comes out the other side he twists it just so, so that the barb comes back through the other way. Twice around over his head like a lasso and the Perch is on his way back to the ocean.

Inside another five minutes there is a struggle going on, at the end of 20 there is a grouper being gaffed and pulled from the water, maybe 100 pounds of fish flopping on the pier inside thirty minutes.

Since that day I have spent very little on fishing gear.

That said I do enjoy a nice machine, especially when it is a good tool. I even include my modded Holga in that group.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Reinhold recently posted a thread “Waste your Money Here” about dodge tools. But for people who love precision equipment, that is not always the case. For instance I have often contemplated taking up fly fishing. Not because of the fishing, but as an excuse to buy and use an Orvis fishing rod and reel. Am I mad, or do others have similar obsessions?
    I have always thought this is why we became photographers and not painters. Cameras are such beautiful examples of precision equipment compared to paint brushes.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Precision Equipment

Mark, what an amazing story. I love tales like those, just goes to show the ingenuity of people with limited means can do.

I love precision tools, and the feel of them in the hand, as well as the things that they can do. But it's always really cool to see something do the same job in a totally different way, but at the end accomplish the same task.

Nowadays the things you can see online, either video or though sites like instructables ( though not everything seems like a good alternative) is just overwhelming. Lots of info and tech out there which is really a great time now for people who like to tinker and build.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Inside 5-minutes he pulls in a Perch that would have made a fine meal for four, nope. Time for the big hook, he sticks it through the body then when the barb comes out the other side he twists it just so, so that the barb comes back through the other way. Twice around over his head like a lasso and the Perch is on his way back to the ocean.
    That's such a great story. I was going to remark and build on it.... But I thought maybe I'd be wrong about whatever point I might try to make. And it would just detract.

Great story.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    When I was 16 my family took a trip to Mexico and Baja California. For the trip we bought really nice high tech fishing gear.

At Cabo San Lucas at the time there was a cannery pier that the locals fished on, we decided to give it a try there. The water was beautiful and clear, we actually watched the fish "sniff" and "chase" our hooks but we couldn't get any thing to really bite.

Given the lack of success the morning turned into people watching mostly, the locals were doing better using little more than sticks. That was bad enough but then another local wanders up with 2 Coke cans (steel) wrapped in line, big hook on one, medium hook on the other.

This gentleman borrowed a piece of chum from a buddy and baits the medium hook. Inside 5-minutes he pulls in a Perch that would have made a fine meal for four, nope. Time for the big hook, he sticks it through the body then when the barb comes out the other side he twists it just so, so that the barb comes back through the other way. Twice around over his head like a lasso and the Perch is on his way back to the ocean.

Inside another five minutes there is a struggle going on, at the end of 20 there is a grouper being gaffed and pulled from the water, maybe 100 pounds of fish flopping on the pier inside thirty minutes.

Since that day I have spent very little on fishing gear.

That said I do enjoy a nice machine, especially when it is a good tool. I even include my modded Holga in that group.
    Well if that isn't depressing in some way... I was once fishing the mouth of the Columbia river at Buoy 10. Awful, awful day out past the sand bar in our 24ft boat. Finally, after nearly being run over by a barge in the fog and having the tide shift and the waves come crashing through, we called it quits and gave up without a single sniff on the line. My father at the wheel, I was rigging the anchor at the bow and I see a dolphin under the water and SPLASH! here is a full Coho right in the bottom of the boat.

Damn dolphin came in with the sea water and scared that sucker to jump right in. Might as well have buckets out there.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    That's such a great story. I was going to remark and build on it.... But I thought maybe I'd be wrong about whatever point I might try to make. And it would just detract.

Great story.
    The point of sharing was to show the futility of chasing magic bullets.

Tools that solve real problems, don't need to be fancy.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Precision Equipment

Mark,

I'm sure that if you used your fancy fishing equipment for years in the same location, you'd catch fish like that too. You'd arguably enjoy it more too, because of that nice equipment. But at the same time, I think I enjoy it more when I accomplish something special with modest tools.
    This is part of the reason I so enjoy a good old Pentax Spotmatic. When I get a really good 16x20 from it, it feels better, because I feel like I applied a lot more skill to get there.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin