Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,796   Online: 1015

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Mark,

I'm sure that if you used your fancy fishing equipment for years in the same location, you'd catch fish like that too. You'd arguably enjoy it more too, because of that nice equipment. But at the same time, I think I enjoy it more when I accomplish something special with modest tools.
    This is part of the reason I so enjoy a good old Pentax Spotmatic. When I get a really good 16x20 from it, it feels better, because I feel like I applied a lot more skill to get there.
    Thomas, I thought you used an M2.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. My S8 Beaulieus reek of quality, are much much too fragile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thomas, I agree that nice tools are a pleasure to work with.

As to the fishing rod you pine for Clive, as an art piece a $1500 fly rod might make sense.

There are other good reasons too. One of my co-workers has a son who is in the fly fishing guide business who picked up one of these rods this summer. It provides two things that his old rod didn't, 1-he can catch more high dollar client trips because of the magic bullet BS brag line he can spin around it and 2-he gets bigger tips from clients & favors from the shops he refers his clients to.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have always thought this is why we became photographers and not painters. Cameras are such beautiful examples of precision equipment compared to paint brushes.
    Did you ever see really good brushes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Precision Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Thomas, I thought you used an M2.
    I use an M2 also, and it's amazingly enjoyable. The Spotmatic keeps it real.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Precision Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post

As to the fishing rod you pine for Clive, as an art piece a $1500 fly rod might make sense.

There are other good reasons too. One of my co-workers has a son who is in the fly fishing guide business who picked up one of these rods this summer. It provides two things that his old rod didn't, 1-he can catch more high dollar client trips because of the magic bullet BS brag line he can spin around it and 2-he gets bigger tips from clients & favors from the shops he refers his clients to.
    I enjoy the savvy of your colleague.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is part of the reason I so enjoy a good old Pentax Spotmatic. When I get a really good 16x20 from it, it feels better, because I feel like I applied a lot more skill to get there.
    I'm not sure if I follow you here Thomas. The level of precision in a Spotmatic and a M2 should be the same, if not something is wrong with the camera. Apart from the obvious difference in cost and the rangefinder/SLR difference I can't see why it would require more skill with a Spotmatic. Or perhaps it it just the feeling?

Trond

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post

A bit like the wedding, portrait, and commercial photographers who shoot Hasselblad to impress the clients, or at least they used to.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I enjoy the savvy of your colleague.
    Me too.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    A bit like the wedding, portrait, and commercial photographers who shoot Hasselblad to impress the clients, or at least they used to.
    Exactly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin