Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,085   Online: 938

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Beautiful!!!
    Thank you Katie!
    Get out and shoot!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Griz,

The more I have thought about your mono pod arrangement, the more I like it. I rarely use, or have had a need for one, but when those times arose, it was "darn, wish I had one with me," built into the walking stick it always would be.

By chance, could you detail the arrangement for the stud and more importantly, the screw-on cap?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Griz,

The more I have thought about your mono pod arrangement, the more I like it. I rarely use, or have had a need for one, but when those times arose, it was "darn, wish I had one with me," built into the walking stick it always would be.

By chance, could you detail the arrangement for the stud and more importantly, the screw-on cap?
    No problem at all Bob, After sizing the length of the stick, and keeping the cut off for the cap, I simply drilled a hole the size of the shaft of a 1/4-20 grade 5 bolt. Then I used the bolt to cut its' own threads into the wood. After the threads were cut, I removed the bolt, and cut the bolt head off on a band saw, to make the stud. This is a good time to mark the hole you will need in the cap. I cut a pencil the same depth as the hole, with a bit of the point sticking out, I was able to put the cap in place, and mark where I would need to drill.

I then double checked the length of the installed stud, so as not to puncture the body within the tripod socket, then applied a very thin layer of 5 minute epoxy in the hole, double nutted the stud, and re-installed it. I covered the camera platform with contact cement, then a thin layer of leather for the camera to seat against.

I used the mating surface of the piece I cut off the stick to make the cap. The cap was made by drilling a hole (deep enough to accept the stud) just smaller in diameter than a 1/4-20 nut, and pressing the nut into the wood using a table vise. Before seating the nut, I used another very thin coat of epoxy to help hold the nut in place. All that remained was to do the shaping on a disc sander, and apply the finish.

Griz
    Get out and shoot!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very well explained. Thank you very much.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Very well explained. Thank you very much.
    You are quite welcome, let me know how yours turns out!

Griz
    Get out and shoot!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin