Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,435   Online: 1179

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer organizing my film by theme and by film type. So all 6x6 shots in one binder, 35mm in another, and colour in another one yet. Then, organized by theme (often travel) or film/camera type (all infrared, Holga shots, etc). I find it easier to go to a specific themed binder to look for a shot, rather than try to remember what year I shot something in.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Books of negs and a Filemaker Pro database. It took time to set up the database, but it saves immeasurable time in searching for negs, and also stores development and printing info.
    Of course this is for 8 books, mostly full, multi-formats, and 50 years of shooting. All of the books hold Printfiles.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post

Yesterday I was trying to choose a negative to print for the postcard exchange, and had to look through an entire binder full of negative sheets to decide which one I wanted.
    "ChristopherCoy does not happen to be a pseudonym for Mitt Romney, does it?

Sorry, I could not resist.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    "ChristopherCoy does not happen to be a pseudonym for Mitt Romney, does it?

Sorry, I could not resist.

No it most certainly isn't. I most certainly did not vote for him either...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Christopher: I hope that I did not offend you. I was referring to the statement Romney made in one of the debates about "binders full of women."

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well since I went to medium format work a few years back, I created an Excel spreadsheet where I use one page per roll and record frame number, a brief description, exposure and any filters used in vertical columns. I also have a header area where I record the film, camera and possibly some metering info (which meter etc.) and a bit about the general subject; also the lens if the camera has interchangeable lenses. At the bottom I have a note area for processing - developer, time and temp, or what lab if color. I also record a general comment about the results and can place notes about individual shots on the line for each frame if the mood strikes me. I use a small voice recorder to make field notes as I shoot (unless overcome by laziness).

I have the pages grouped for my assorted and sundry cameras with a hint in an index number 'SQ063.10' is frame 10 in roll #63 from my SQ-A, etc. Negatives go in Printfile pages with separate ring binders for 35mm, 120, and 4x5 (which generally only happens on Worldwide Pinhole Day!) The pages are identified with film type, roll number corresponding to the Excel sheets, shoot date and subject, set in chronological order.

In Excel, one can create links just like on a webpage, so I have a master index and then a subject index, divided by year and grouped for the camera model (except little used cameras are together in a 'Misc' group). I also have a film type index which allows me to see and click to sheets for TriX or FP4 or whatever. Each film page has three links to go back to the master index, subject index or film index so one can click back and forth. (Yes, I'm a retired software type and have too much time on my hands.) D!git@l shots go into a file hierarchy with actual image files in a folder named 20yy_mm_dd_subject which are then grouped into folders by year and maybe subdivided into two-month sub-folders. (It sounds more complicated than it is.) I also scan some of my film negatives and insert them into the same file hierarchy.

It works for me, but then I also don't generally shoot 300 shots a week either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Christopher: I hope that I did not offend you. I was referring to the statement Romney made in one of the debates about "binders full of women."

Oh no! not at all! Trust me, it takes WAY more than that to offend me!! LOL

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Like almost everything else in a cluttered house, I have a place For all of my film, and all of it some place or other. Digital files are easy to organize. Memory cards are uploaded to a folder named with the date, YYMMDD, and the subjects in each folder are noted in a word processor file. A word search can quickly locate all folders with any subject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin