Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,740   Online: 913

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi bill

you might just him a leica
    it seems that puddle jumps are easy enough for a monkey
    snappies willbe easy for an art-leaning HS student

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    get something like a minolta x300/370. Cheap as chips on fleabay. But a decent camera all the same, and of course excellent lenses available. And they're really light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Not sure if I should drag him down with me...
    Shakespeare's tragedies are much richer and more fulfilling than his comedies.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    There is one of those exact Minoltas on Amazon right now for $18.

He will be more likely to use something he actually chose. IMO
    I agree. Let him be his own person, and let him see how his choice works out. Let him see what he can do with it.

There was an old race car story that is related (I think I may have got it from one of Caroll Smith's books). Back in the day, the specific tire compounds for a major Indy-car race were based on the choice of one or two racers doing tire tests for the main tire maker (such as Goodyear). The choice was made, and race tires were produced. During practice week, the tires were causing problems for nearly everyone. Couldn't get grip, the tires were overheating and chunking off tread, etc. They all said the tires were crap. Except for the guy who picked the compound; he was flying, nobody could understand how he was doing so well. Later, someone asked him how he did it. Well, he acknowleded, the tires really were horrible. But since he was the one who picked them, he couldn't complain - he HAD to make them work! So he somehow found a way to do so.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    I love both my Nikon FG...
    He didn't like the Nikon FG, so I sold it...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    When he grows up he will complain: "My Dad wouldn't let me have a Minolta Freedom Zoom 140EX, that was the camera I really wanted. Instead, he gave me a Pentax Spotmatic II - I hated that camera."
    That's just so true it makes me cry...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi bill

you might just him a leica
    it seems that puddle jumps are easy enough for a monkey
    snappies willbe easy for an art-leaning HS student
    Well, there is that possibility. I need to learn to let go...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Buy him a point and shoot with a good lens. Is he completely set on a zoom camera? Something with a 35-40mm f/2.8 may be better.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    He doesn't care much, as long as it shoots color...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Not sure if I should drag him down with me...

My high school kid wants a camera. His idea of the perfect camera is a Minolta Freedom Zoom 140EX. He wants to shoot color.

But seeing Massimo's daughter's shots with SLR and Tri-X makes me think I should put something better in his hands.

He's an artist in his own right, drawing, but not that into photography, he just wants to take a few snapshots.

I don't think "letting him use one of mine" is fair, since I'd worry about the good ones and the other ones are hard enough for me to use. Besides, I still resent my dad not letting me "have" the Spotmatic II all those years ago...

Something he can toss in his pack and just shoot...
    Nah, Bill...give him a good one! If he's into it, and you know he'll make good use of it, why worry? Having said that, I gave my daughter the FM3A because there was no way she'd get get a Leica, and even that came with some serious threats

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin