Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,859   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

My high school kid wants a camera

Not sure if I should drag him down with me...

My high school kid wants a camera. His idea of the perfect camera is a Minolta Freedom Zoom 140EX. He wants to shoot color.

But seeing Massimo's daughter's shots with SLR and Tri-X makes me think I should put something better in his hands.

He's an artist in his own right, drawing, but not that into photography, he just wants to take a few snapshots.

I don't think "letting him use one of mine" is fair, since I'd worry about the good ones and the other ones are hard enough for me to use. Besides, I still resent my dad not letting me "have" the Spotmatic II all those years ago...

Something he can toss in his pack and just shoot...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Be sure and give one that you don't mind him dropping! But I think it's great, maybe another analoger to be..........

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Olympus XA?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll put the Rollei 35 in his hands, see if he likes it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Not sure if I should drag him down with me...

My high school kid wants a camera. His idea of the perfect camera is a Minolta Freedom Zoom 140EX. He wants to shoot color.

But seeing Massimo's daughter's shots with SLR and Tri-X makes me think I should put something better in his hands.

He's an artist in his own right, drawing, but not that into photography, he just wants to take a few snapshots.

I don't think "letting him use one of mine" is fair, since I'd worry about the good ones and the other ones are hard enough for me to use. Besides, I still resent my dad not letting me "have" the Spotmatic II all those years ago...

Something he can toss in his pack and just shoot...
    Let him do what I did. Mow lawns to earn the money to buy a Kodak 35, give him an old selenium meter, and let him mow more lawns to buy some Velvia.
    If he can get good results with that combo, he'll be able to use anything.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haaa, I could give him my Kodak 35, not worried about that. But I hated that camera you know, it's the camera I had to use because dad wouldn't let me take the Spotmatic to college.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love both my Nikon FG and Yashica rangefinder...both < $100 on ebay. The nice thing about the Nikon is you can find a lot of nice lenses it can use for good prices although it's manual focus only (as is the Yashica...but that is fixed lens.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When he grows up he will complain: "My Dad wouldn't let me have a Minolta Freedom Zoom 140EX, that was the camera I really wanted. Instead, he gave me a Pentax Spotmatic II - I hated that camera."
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 11-10-2012 at 10:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Haaa, I could give him my Kodak 35, not worried about that. But I hated that camera you know, it's the camera I had to use because dad wouldn't let me take the Spotmatic to college.
    Seriously, I got one of those when I was 13 or 14. The cheapest option for film was Kodachrome or Ektachrome. It sure taught me how to use the ca. 1938 Weston meter my great uncle gave me. I still have those slides, and that little camera did a damn good job with it's f:3.5 lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is one of those exact Minoltas on Amazon right now for $18.

He will be more likely to use something he actually chose. IMO
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin