Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,956   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Available Strobes with Round Reflector?

I'm looking for the above to use with a Yashica TLR. I like the look of the smaller bulb models but in a strobe. Can anyone suggest a particular one that I can look up. Is it possible to convert a bulb model?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I'm looking for the above to use with a Yashica TLR. I like the look of the smaller bulb models but in a strobe. Can anyone suggest a particular one that I can look up. Is it possible to convert a bulb model?
    The Quantum Qflash has round reflector. Doesn't quite look like a bulb unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My strobe isn't portable but there's these on ebay. The mains type are cheaper.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The Quantum Qflash has round reflector. Doesn't quite look like a bulb unit.
    Thought of it but it's too pricey.

I may have to go with a normal handle mount.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're patient, there was someone out there who converted Vivitar 283/285 strobes to take a bare-bulb flash tube with an optional bayonet-on circular dish reflector. I forget what they were called, but I remember seeing them advertised in Shutterbug for several years back in the 1990s. I think Norman and/or Dynalite also make/made portable flash units that have a similar flash head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Norman 200B's and 400B's had a bare bulb with the option of a round reflector or mounting of a slip on speed ring to mount a soft box or similar modifier. The Normans were a high end pack and head unit ( I have one old 200B that I restored).

So even many years old they may not come cheap.

Why not consider the possibilty of masking off the edges of the 35mm form factor reflector, or just add a diffuser and live with the stiop or more of brightness loss.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for reminding me of the Norman's guys. I'll also watch the "E" and see if there are any converted Vivitar's going thru.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like the idea. I think it might be cool to have something like the Norman 200B bulb, but fit entire flash electronics from another much less powerful unit into the case.

I don't need f/11 at EI 100. Just a tiny bit of illumination to fill the shadows.

So it seems a miniature flash could be taken out of anything and put into an old flashbulb reflector.

(If it can be done safely).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I did a quick check on the auction site and saw several Vivitar 283 conversions. There was a professionally done conversion that looked as well-made as a Quantum, and was priced similarly. Then there were a pair of rather amateur-looking conversions selling for about $150 each. They looked a little klugey, and I'd be worried about their durability and safety long-term. But they exist as an option. A final thought - just get a Gary Fong light modifier with a chromed interior. Or take a quart-size plastic takeaway soup container, spray-paint the inside silver, and cut a hole in the bottom for the flash to go through.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah saw those two. That professional unit looked pretty big, maybe bigger them my Yashica 120G.

I could always go with a Sunpak 120J but I am kinda leaning towards putting something together. Like Bill I just need something small, basically for closer portraits. I've seen reflectors for sale and I have some small flashes. Any electronics experts around?
    W.A. Crider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin