Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,785   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Opaque perspex is the ideal material. If you go into a framing shop, frosted UV-retardant glass is sometimes available (personally I have seen this on two home made light boxes illuminated by 8 banks of high intensity white LEDs), but it is not as good or practical in use as perspex. The light must be diffused or it will create eye fatique.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is a Nuarc light table, there is a separate diffuser and the top glass is not frosted. When I replaced mine I went to a window glass shop and got 1/4" and ask to have the edges beveled and the corners slightly rounded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If it is a Nuarc light table, there is a separate diffuser and the top glass is not frosted. When I replaced mine I went to a window glass shop and got 1/4" and ask to have the edges beveled and the corners slightly rounded.
    That is the one I got. Not sure if it is Nuarc light table or not, but you describe it how it is set up. I am concerned about the cost of a piece of glass that size (38x28x.25). I will stop off at a framing shop I know and get an estimate.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Framing shops are expensive. You may want to look up a glass shop instead, they usually are cheaper and will bevel the sharp edges.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markrewald View Post
    That is the one I got. Not sure if it is Nuarc light table or not, but you describe it how it is set up. I am concerned about the cost of a piece of glass that size (38x28x.25). I will stop off at a framing shop I know and get an estimate.
    Please let us know what they say.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1/4" at a frame shop?
    Try the glass shop, it should be much more reasonable and they'll be more familiar with thick glass.
    Glass is available as "water clear" Think in terms of extra dollar signs.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    +1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stopped off at a glass place quoted me $134 for 28x38x.25. That was plain tempered glass. Not bad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not bad, bet you aren't going to go at it 8 hours a day with X-Acto knives like the former owner...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    previous owner was a graphics artist person who switched to all digital production. So I am guessing they used it as a tracing table. The thing was a bugger to haul home. But I am certainly going to enjoy using it over the little 11x8 thing I have now!

Though the future wife rolled her eyes big time when I brought it home. She just doesn't understand these things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin