Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,207   Online: 810

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Glass for a Light table

I got a sweet deal on a very large light 38" x 28" - Free. It needs a new piece of glass for the top. My guess is they were using it as a tracing table and cutting on it so the glass is pretty scratched. Easily fixed. I would like to get the right kind of glass for it, if there is such a thing. The glass is pretty thick and heavy (about 1/4in). Anyone have a recommendation for a type of glass to put in? I was thinking of going to a framing shop and seeing what they had - maybe get some of the high end anti-glare stuff. I imagine it is going cost me a pretty penny! If I can get by with regular pane of glass that would be a cost saver but I would rather have what is suppose to be in there.

Thanks!
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd think you'd want something frosted, better translucent, to even out the light like on a commercial light table. I'd go to a window glass shop and see what they have.....maybe bring a flashlight with you to see how well it diffuses.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The glass you need is called "Flashed Opal" and they sell it at good glass merchants who will cut it to size for you..
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Mark said, you can find frosted glass at places that cuts window panes. I couldn't go for anti-glare because it'll be frosted anyway and back lit. I've seen home made ones that size and they all used plastic, not glass.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the fast responses. I will check out the window glass shop and see what they can do for me.

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I Googled Flashed Opal glass and that's not what I need. The light table came with a acrylic frosted backing already. So I just need the glass. Would just some tempered glass work?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can you flip it over, or have they already scratched both sides?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What about just using a sheet of acrylic? You should be able to get one from your local hardware store in either clear or white for cheap. If you want to get fancier you could look at something like lexan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have color balanced tubes and color rendition is critical, use acrylic. Glass can cause a green shift in color.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks again guys! Wonderful responses!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin