Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,128   Online: 990

Thread: filter wallets

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

filter wallets

I have a bunch of filters in different threads. Keeping them organized is a mess. I'm going to buy filter wallets but jsut before I do so:

Is there any reason for preferring one over the other? I don't think so, but maybe I'm glossing over certain details with wallets.

I mean some have meshes, others have clear plastic, etc. I'm wondering if one is more/less scratch prone than the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the mesh ones with elastic at the top. Some of the vinyl ones dump all your filters if you open them wrong.
    There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks. —Erwin Schrödinger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have wallets from Tamrac and B+W, they're both vinyl. Size 55 filters go in the B+W (which is smaller), and 77s go in the Tamrac. I've never had any dumping problems. I imagine it's a little more of a struggle to get filters out of elastic top pockets, but I've never seen one much less tried it.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm happy with both a "vintage" Nikon one, and a brand new Lowepro.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    What's available can depend on where you are located and I don't know where you are but for what it is worth I have the wallet sold by Jessops(U.K.) called Town and Country.It is cloth outside with mesh pockets, folds neatly into one third its open size, fits into a deepish pocket, holds six filters and I have not experienced any problem with it in terms of scratching.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use the generic ebay versions, no mesh, but with clear plastic windows. I modify it by using wide masking or painters tape over each pocket. They also have one edge taped onto itself to act as a pull tab. Its great and you dont have to worry about your filters all slipping out. when the edges are taped shut. On these pieces of tape, I indicate the type/color of filter, and filter factor. I also like to throw on a few wide strips of gaffers tape onto the back of the filter pouches, so I dont have to carry a roll around. Also the pouches I use, I tend to fold in half, stick in a cable release in the middle, and using a medium rubber band to hold it all together.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin