Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,480   Online: 1117

Thread: filter wallets

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

filter wallets

I have a bunch of filters in different threads. Keeping them organized is a mess. I'm going to buy filter wallets but jsut before I do so:

Is there any reason for preferring one over the other? I don't think so, but maybe I'm glossing over certain details with wallets.

I mean some have meshes, others have clear plastic, etc. I'm wondering if one is more/less scratch prone than the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the mesh ones with elastic at the top. Some of the vinyl ones dump all your filters if you open them wrong.
    There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks. —Erwin Schrödinger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have wallets from Tamrac and B+W, they're both vinyl. Size 55 filters go in the B+W (which is smaller), and 77s go in the Tamrac. I've never had any dumping problems. I imagine it's a little more of a struggle to get filters out of elastic top pockets, but I've never seen one much less tried it.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm happy with both a "vintage" Nikon one, and a brand new Lowepro.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    What's available can depend on where you are located and I don't know where you are but for what it is worth I have the wallet sold by Jessops(U.K.) called Town and Country.It is cloth outside with mesh pockets, folds neatly into one third its open size, fits into a deepish pocket, holds six filters and I have not experienced any problem with it in terms of scratching.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use the generic ebay versions, no mesh, but with clear plastic windows. I modify it by using wide masking or painters tape over each pocket. They also have one edge taped onto itself to act as a pull tab. Its great and you dont have to worry about your filters all slipping out. when the edges are taped shut. On these pieces of tape, I indicate the type/color of filter, and filter factor. I also like to throw on a few wide strips of gaffers tape onto the back of the filter pouches, so I dont have to carry a roll around. Also the pouches I use, I tend to fold in half, stick in a cable release in the middle, and using a medium rubber band to hold it all together.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin