Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,472   Online: 953

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

GPS and The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE)

Does anyone else use a combination of these in their forays in the field?

If I'm out and about, but without a camera, wrong camera or it's not the right season or time, I will pull over and use the where am I feature on the GPS and mark the location in favorites so I can find my way back at another time should I see a promising scene. Unfortunately, my Garmin and TPE use different coordinate systems. I think there might be a feature on my Garmin to use another system, but I never tried since there doesn't seem to be a way to input the coordinate in TPE. Instead I have to visually find my way back using the TPE map to mark the same location for lighting, times of day, etc. Or, am I missing something in TPE and there is a way to enter coordinates??
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not used TPE yet on a foray.

I use DeLorme Topo 9.0 [http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...inisite=10020] on a netbook for offroading. The netbook is mounted in a stand that holds it above the transmission lever and I can swing it out of the way. Topo can show either a composite topological map and spacecraft photographs, or the two side by side. I netbook runs at 1.6 GHz and even with all the memory installed, the netbook is too heavily worked to consider also running TPE. I plan on using TPE before I leave home since I do not want to drive around with two netbooks/laptops.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep the app can, just type the decimal coordinates in the search box.

Example

36.95909 -107.96295

The minus sign indicates west.

i believe it can also import them as of the last update.

Can your GPS export?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a little app called GPS Camera. You take a reference picture and it attaches the coordinates so you can find your way back with a "real" camera. You can also attach notes as well.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The iPhone automatically tags images with GPS info if you have that enabled. Perfect for location scouting.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just checked the site for that software and it will import KML files. These are the files used by Google Earth so one way to do it is download your GPS points to Google Earth and export them from there as a KML file. The free MapSource software for Garmin GPS will also save KML files, as well as many other third party programs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use TPE all the time, and use it to plan photographic trips at home in conjunction with the online version of the UK Ordnance Survey maps, and often, online tide tables. In the field I'm old fashioned, and, gasp, take the relevant paper Ordnance Survey paper maps with me. With lots of handwritten notes on it, areas circled etc...
    Last edited by coigach; 11-17-2012 at 04:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin