Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,087   Posts: 1,635,780   Online: 1258
      
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718
Results 171 to 180 of 180
  1. #171
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,831
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    It's a photo turducken! (chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey - a uniquely American monstrosity for those not aware of the phenomenon).
    I think people were doing that before America as you know it existed!

    from the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia:
    In his 1807 Almanach des Gourmands, gastronomist Grimod de La Reynière presents his rôti sans pareil ("incomparable roast")—a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an ortolan bunting and a garden warbler—although he states that, since similar roasts were produced by ancient Romans, the rôti sans pareil was not entirely novel.

    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  2. #172
    TheFlyingCamera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington DC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    8,733
    Blog Entries
    51
    Images
    446
    Steve- you may be correct as to the origin of the concept. The Turducken name, though, I'm fairly sure, is a late-20th century Yankee thing. No matter the origin, it's still an abomination. Kinda reminds me of one of the question cards from the Cards Against Humanity game:

    "It is rumored that Vladimir Putin likes to eat _______ stuffed with _______". I've seen answers played including "The Pope" stuffed with "Altar boys", "Michael Jackson" stuffed with "the hopes and dreams of little children". Yes, it's a particularly evil game for sick and twisted minds.

  3. #173
    Vilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    419
    oi, still better than having to hide your wife from a camera... be thankful!

  4. #174
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,831
    Images
    122
    Yes, I'm sure the name is American. It sounds like something from you country!

    However, so does brunch but I am ashamed to admit that the origin of that one, also an abomination, is British.


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  5. #175

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Alamo City, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,313
    Nothing "new" is ever new. It's all been done before throughout the centuries. I've never eaten a Turducken and I probably never will. It might be very tasty and moist compared to birds roasted individually but I'm not likely to ever know.

    I have no fear of my wife because I divorced her fifteen years ago. Thank GOD for my freedom from fear. A wife is like a Turducken... layers upon layers upon layers of confusing... WHAT?? We eat and eat and eat and eat... to no end of their satisfaction.

  6. #176

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Steve- you may be correct as to the origin of the concept. The Turducken name, though, I'm fairly sure, is a late-20th century Yankee thing. No matter the origin, it's still an abomination. Kinda reminds me of one of the question cards from the Cards Against Humanity game:

    "It is rumored that Vladimir Putin likes to eat _______ stuffed with _______". I've seen answers played including "The Pope" stuffed with "Altar boys", "Michael Jackson" stuffed with "the hopes and dreams of little children". Yes, it's a particularly evil game for sick and twisted minds.
    Yes indeed the turd***** is an abomination, as if a store-bought turkey isn't inedible enough. The only dish I'd place below the turd***** is the tofurkey. Or anything from McDonald's

  7. #177

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes indeed the turd***** is an abomination, as if a store-bought turkey isn't inedible enough. The only dish I'd place below the turd***** is the tofurkey. Or anything from McDonald's
    E, store-bought turkeys can be quite edible. I have a number of Mexican recipes for turkey. All that I've cooked are quite pleasing.

    Remember, the turkey was probably domesticated in Mexico. In the recipes I have turkey is usually cut up and cooked in water below the boil and then cooked again in a sauce, also below the boil. The sauces can be extremely complex, with as many as 50 ingredients. The trick is to cook relatively small pieces (small pieces cook more evenly than large) slowly at relatively low temperatures. Roasting isn't the best way to cook a turkey.

  8. #178
    brucemuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Metro DC area, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,266
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    oi, still better than having to hide your wife from a camera... be thankful!
    This one wins the best of thread award!!

    LMAO

  9. #179
    Ming Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    District of the Lakes.
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    112

    Do you hide your cameras from your wife?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    It's a photo turducken! (chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey - a uniquely American monstrosity for those not aware of the phenomenon).
    Just to be sure. They are dead first?
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

    StreetPhotographyBlog

  10. #180
    sdotkling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Outside of New York.
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    59
    Images
    25
    Ooh, I think I gotta say that babies and cameras together do not bode well. They are curious little varmints.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin