Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,148   Online: 837

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How about "with this camera I'll get better pictures of the baby"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You live in a small aprtment, you're starting a family, you're spending money on toys instead of saving for a house, and you're hiding things from your wife.

What's wrong with this picture?
    I agree, to buy a Hasselblad in this situation is very selfish and irresponsible, I try at all times to be honest with my wife which is one of the reasons we've been happily married for 48 years.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to be quite direct. Please don't be offended...

I don't know your fiscal nor your spousal situation. I only know mine. I'm no longer married but if I was I wouldn't hide anything from her. Lack of trust is the number one cause of friction in, and ending of, relationships whether that be financially or fidelity related. Once trust is damaged it never fully recovers.

It's all about compromise from both parties. My marriage was a fiasco. I ended up selling every single thing I enjoyed... my audio equipment, my guns, all my camera gear... everything... because my wife found them inconvenient to her. I bought her many different pricey hobby tools over the years and funded all the materials she needed for them. I had nothing. Above all else I valued being a husband and father but there was virtually nothing else of me left. In retrospect I should have been a stronger man and insisted on compromise.

Hiding things and lying/keeping secrets is not the adult way to handle it. Open dialog and finding a center ground for you "both" to stand on is the only proper option. Find the strength to be a man but don't be an overbearing ogre.

Maybe a bit harsh but truth often is.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 11-24-2012 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It sounds as though you already have several cameras. I suggest you enjoy using those while you wait for the baby, and then see how things pan out financially with the baby before you commit yourself to the care and feeding of a Hassie. Babies and Hasselblads are both expensive...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depends on whether you genuinely feel that you're doing the right or wrong thing. If your financial position means you don't need the money, then get the camera and be honest about it. If you really should keep the money for more important things, do that.

Submitting to a nag is a bad thing, as it only encourages the behaviour. However, being an irresponsible partner is bad too, and you should just think clearly about what is happening here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sell off some of the cameras you already own and most likely don't use
    and when you can scrape together the $$ without dipping into your savings get it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My wife has way more cameras than I so no issues with me wanting gear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do you have an 8x10 camera you can store it in?

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Do you have an 8x10 camera you can store it in?

Steve.
    LOL, Steve! I hope you have a couch this guy can sleep on when his wife throws him out!

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two... but don't tell my wife!

Steve.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin