Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,670   Online: 800

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps my spritely age of 21 means my words are worthless in this situation, but...

A Hasselblad isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things. If you feel like you would have to hide a $700-1000 purchase then you probably shouldn't be making it at all. There are tons of Hasselblads out there, I'm sure one will be waiting for you in a year.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hahaha... It has been very amusing to read all sugestions. Thank you guys who expressed concern about the honest relation between husband and wife. No offense taken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'm going to be quite direct. Please don't be offended...

I don't know your fiscal nor your spousal situation. I only know mine. I'm no longer married but if I was I wouldn't hide anything from her. Lack of trust is the number one cause of friction in, and ending of, relationships whether that be financially or fidelity related. Once trust is damaged it never fully recovers.

It's all about compromise from both parties. My marriage was a fiasco. I ended up selling every single thing I enjoyed... my audio equipment, my guns, all my camera gear... everything... because my wife found them inconvenient to her. I bought her many different pricey hobby tools over the years and funded all the materials she needed for them. I had nothing. Above all else I valued being a husband and father but there was virtually nothing else of me left. In retrospect I should have been a stronger man and insisted on compromise.

Hiding things and lying/keeping secrets is not the adult way to handle it. Open dialog and finding a center ground for you "both" to stand on is the only proper option. Find the strength to be a man but don't be an overbearing ogre.

Maybe a bit harsh but truth often is.
    I improved on that situation. I traded the wife in and got a girl friend who is much younger, has less mileage and is low maintenance. I have had no problems buying cameras and setting up a darkroom since.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoMiglioli View Post
    My wife is really smart and she knows all my cameras. Now I want to buy my first Hasselblad which in no way looks like to anything I already have to tell her its the same. We live in a small apartment with no place to hide things and my baby is coming soon. She will be furious if I come home with a new camera... Any idea? Divorce is not an option.
    Ok, there is a real easy solution to your problem. Just tell her you picked it up for $20 at a garage sale because the seller said that no one wants a film camera, especially a large bulky one. See just tell her that and everything will be ok!

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, you can't be a proper father-photographer without a MF to take decent portraits of your baby. Besides, you intend to take pictures of all the family gathering, especially when you invite her relatives, whom you love so dearly. They'll be proud to have beautiful large prints hanging in their living room.

It is most common amongst photographers to buy expensive digital cameras (show her prices) when a baby is born in anticipation of the thousands pictures to be taken. It is actually your precise duty as the man of the family to take care of the documentation side of the "biologic project".

Does she really want her child to never know how beautiful she was when she was young? Time for decent portraits before it's too late.

You probably have friends of your age having babies as well. Do notice their expenditure in electronic devices.

Old mechanical cameras never really lose value. Both of you can see them as a "reserve of value". A digital camera wouldn't be the same.

If nothing else work, consider begin hiding your income from her lawyer

(in general, the advice about being a real man is very valid overall. Don't let her dictate your choices. If you feel buying the Hasselblad is right, that means it is right).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trade up (trading one camera in for the blad). As far as she's concerned, and I assume it's truthful, that you're nesting. You are preparing for the baby and want a nice camera to photograph it with. Ignore the notion you won't have time/money to photograph when the baby comes. There's lots of hurry up and wait time and it's a wonderful time in the life of a photographing parent to be making photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have two... but don't tell my wife!

Steve.
    I have two 10x8's as well but as they look the same I just make sure they never get seen together

I have the opposite problem with many of my cameras, my wife wants some left on display when not in use - in Turkey and each tome we travle back from the UK wants me to take others !!!!! some have just been restored and are still untried so that's not on. I recently managed to overcome this when I found a bargain box of cameras at a camera fair and bought duplicates at £1-£3 each, but that also threw up jewels like a mint Zorki C and a very nice post WWII Ikonta, so ironically that makes it worse.

My biggest problem is going to be explain the whole plate camera I have sat waithing for me to collect in 2 weeks when she knows I've two others bought as parts plus another early half plate camera that just needs new bellows. I guess the upside is they are worth mor5e than I paid for them, an identiacl half plate camera again missing its bellows sold for more than 3x what I paid, and its the same for the whole plate camert.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Ok, there is a real easy solution to your problem. Just tell her you picked it up for $20 at a garage sale because the seller said that no one wants a film camera, especially a large bulky one. See just tell her that and everything will be ok!
    That sounds about right.

Luckily I am picking up cameras at camera fairs and flea markets very cheaply and usually restoring them so they are worth significantly more than I paid, even more if I sold them in the right places in Turkey wher old cameras are real collectors items.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Do you hide your cameras from your wife?

If all your other cameras are 35mm sell them all and buy the hassy who needs 35 anyway look at all the space you will save your wife and how you've cleaned things up in preparation for the baby

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If all your other cameras are 35mm sell them all and buy the hassy who needs 35 anyway ...
    He got that right. Since I got my Hasselblads, the 35mm cameras rarely get used.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well, Yeah!!!!

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin