Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,496   Posts: 1,571,424   Online: 1110

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    WARNING!!!!

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

I tried this - I pointed out to my moaning and complaining wife that she had as many pairs of shoes as I had cameras.

BIG MISTAKE. I am embarrassed that, as a married man of many years, I was so foolish.
    My wife was in the car and heard it, but I didn't say it to her. I made the shoes comparison when a friend of hers asked me why I needed so many cars. It's just exchanging one rhetorical question for another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought of this thread yesterday...my husband was helping me move some stuff in our "extra room" where I have a bunch of camera stuff. He says, "what do you need all this for..." He's a big time audiophile. We have a wall of LPs and dead tube equipment everywhere. I'm thinking "really...? Are we going there?" Just had to share. I'm a female that skips the shoes and goes for the camera equipment with a husband that uses and collects audio equipment...we're an analogue household.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Do you hide your cameras from your wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Time for an attitude adjustment. Tell her that since she won't let you buy cameras but she can waste money by throwing shoes out, you are not going to renew your marriage contract at you next anniversary. Then stand back and enjoy the show!
    Usually the player's strike starts with great fanfare and bravado...

But when the management lockout starts to really take hold, the tune usually starts to change pretty quickly.

The secret is to acquire more cameras than she is willing to count. Then a new face usually goes unnoticed... After a "conditioning period", it just becomes... "You got another box today..."

PS: I never ever mention her spending. I'm not about to get into that discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by marenmcgowan View Post
    I thought of this thread yesterday...my husband was helping me move some stuff in our "extra room" where I have a bunch of camera stuff. He says, "what do you need all this for..." He's a big time audiophile. We have a wall of LPs and dead tube equipment everywhere. I'm thinking "really...? Are we going there?" Just had to share. I'm a female that skips the shoes and goes for the camera equipment with a husband that uses and collects audio equipment...we're an analogue household.
    Don't get caught by the hoarders show!

Or the FIREMEN OF AMERICA (Fahrenheit 451 reference)

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marenmcgowan View Post

Thank you for pointing this out.

I was concerned that my earlier comment must have come across as ba bit 'men are from mars women are from venus' stereotyped.... In reality it is merely a symptom of people living together with competeing priorities.

At least you are both collectors - that must be the route to all happiness
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If dishonesty is the only route to go, just say you have been saving bit by bit for months for such a purchase. In reality, you could just do this now and have a kit in six months... It's not like they don't come up for sale all the time. But with a baby on the way, and if the purchase is really to save those precious moments, and if your current cameras don't cut it, go for it and make up for it later. Cut $10/week from your personal spending---most of us probably spend more than that on coffee and/or beer.

I put about $20/week aside for photography. At the rate I shoot with everything else going on in my life, about half of this goes to film or chemicals and the rest towards savings for gear or whatever. $500 or so a year isn't that much, but it does go a long way, especially once you have a kit set up already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=StoneNYC;1426336]Don't get caught by the hoarders show!

not quite at the hoarding phase. We can still walk through the room without stepping on stuff...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    At least you are both collectors - that must be the route to all happiness
    too true...

heterolysis is right...budgeting is a great plan. I suck at that, but it's a really good point.
    Last edited by marenmcgowan; 11-29-2012 at 09:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't figure out how to quote more than one person in a post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been into cars and drag racing for quite a few years, i've recently just sold a race engine and a couple of very large turbos, I have then got into photography, started with a box brownie...have just bought a 5x4 speed graphic lol anyway this is how you need to put it:

"Which would you rather me being interested in cars with loads of expensive oily car parts cluttering up the place since we have no garage, or a nice neat high quality camera that will only go up in value that will sit on the shelf out the way?"

At this point you then ask if she wants a tea or coffee and go put the kettle on I'm quite lucky in the fact that I have asked the wife to be if i'm allowed a dark room in our house we are looking to buy next year and i've been allowed lol

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

[QUOTE=marenmcgowan;1426748]
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Don't get caught by the hoarders show!

not quite at the hoarding phase. We can still walk through the room without stepping on stuff...
    Better than me, well, at least my bedroom, that's littered with DIY camera projects haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin