Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,621   Online: 1284

Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Do you hide your cameras from your wife?

My wife is really smart and she knows all my cameras. Now I want to buy my first Hasselblad which in no way looks like to anything I already have to tell her its the same. We live in a small apartment with no place to hide things and my baby is coming soon. She will be furious if I come home with a new camera... Any idea? Divorce is not an option.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe selling some photo stuff you already have? That could work as an excuse. I don´t think that hiding is a good idea. It may work for someone who already has so much gear that there is no overview any more, but a single Hasselblad?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wives generally don't seem to mind when you replace one thing with something else. That's what I'd suggest in your situation. You are young and have plenty of time to slowly buy a few more things as time goes on. Your wife is worried because there is now a child involved. You won't have much time for photography for a few years now anyway.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoMiglioli View Post
    My wife is really smart and she knows all my cameras. Now I want to buy my first Hasselblad which in no way looks like to anything I already have to tell her its the same. We live in a small apartment with no place to hide things and my baby is coming soon. She will be furious if I come home with a new camera... Any idea? Divorce is not an option.
    Wow. That's a real problem, and it's nothing to do with cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, we don't know your wife so only you will know for sure. However I have had personal experience with this sort of thing, and my advice would be that no good will come of trying to hide it - *especially* if this camera will make a noticeable dent in your financial situation. If it were me I'd talk to the wife first and let her know you plan to sell some of your existing equipment in order to buy this. It would just be disrespectful of your wife and your family to do otherwise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why, just give the new Blad as a gift to your wife. You will not have to hide it, and you can "borrow" it from her whenever you want to use it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Divorce is not an option.
    Not for you perhaps but she might have other ideas!

You could trade some of your existing cameras for it (this could be a real or an imaginary trade).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another thing worth doing is to count all of your cameras and compare it with the number of pairs of shoes she has!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You live in a small aprtment, you're starting a family, you're spending money on toys instead of saving for a house, and you're hiding things from your wife.

What's wrong with this picture?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You live in a small apartment................ What's wrong with this picture?
    Not enough rooms to store cameras?

Steve.

Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin