Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,427   Online: 782

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently pared down my film accumulation. I started by taking a thorough inventory, then by creating a spreadsheet. I found I had less than ten rolls each of several films I wasn't particularly interested in, which I bagged up and gave away. I found I have 90+ rolls (120) of E100GX; how'd that happen? I also discovered I had two baggies with assorted 35mm film ready to shoot; why two?

Nearly all the film in the freezer is 120/220. Nearly all the film in the fridge is 135. I'm currently shooting a lot more 135 than 120 so I suppose this makes sense, sort of. I also had way more film stashed in drawers in the basement than I was aware of. Several cans of bulk 135 in the fridge, plus three or four loaders loaded, most of the bulk film was expired when I bought it... I really ought to acquire some empty cassettes and use this stuff.

(I did a really stupid thing last week, in a fit of boredom: I applied prices to my spreadsheet. Never do this.)

Most of the film went into gallon-size zip-lock bags, back into the freezer. 35mm film and 120 that I want to use up I carried downstairs and stuffed into a few empty shallow drawers that look like they're made for this kind of thing. And now I know what I have and what I don't need to purchase more of any time soon. Except I could do with some more Portra 400, and some 800 could come in handy with the darkness lingering longer, and I haven't given Delta 3200 a really good trial...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my film stocks, and keep the actual film in zip-lock bags in big chest freezer bought for the purpose in my basement to avoid my wife complaining about me taking up all the space in her food freezer.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Organizing your film...

I so basically the same as you, Stone: I organize it by format and color/B&W and store it in snapware in a fridge out in the garage. If I had the freezer cleaned out, which I need to do, then I'd store bulk or bricks of film there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Organizing your film...

Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    I recently pared down my film accumulation. I started by taking a thorough inventory, then by creating a spreadsheet. I found I had less than ten rolls each of several films I wasn't particularly interested in, which I bagged up and gave away. I found I have 90+ rolls (120) of E100GX; how'd that happen? I also discovered I had two baggies with assorted 35mm film ready to shoot; why two?

Nearly all the film in the freezer is 120/220. Nearly all the film in the fridge is 135. I'm currently shooting a lot more 135 than 120 so I suppose this makes sense, sort of. I also had way more film stashed in drawers in the basement than I was aware of. Several cans of bulk 135 in the fridge, plus three or four loaders loaded, most of the bulk film was expired when I bought it... I really ought to acquire some empty cassettes and use this stuff.

(I did a really stupid thing last week, in a fit of boredom: I applied prices to my spreadsheet. Never do this.)

Most of the film went into gallon-size zip-lock bags, back into the freezer. 35mm film and 120 that I want to use up I carried downstairs and stuffed into a few empty shallow drawers that look like they're made for this kind of thing. And now I know what I have and what I don't need to purchase more of any time soon. Except I could do with some more Portra 400, and some 800 could come in handy with the darkness lingering longer, and I haven't given Delta 3200 a really good trial...
    That's a lot of film.

I would shoot the Ektachrome now, mine (EPP) is stating to show issues in the highlights area, I also got it from a guy who "swore" it was frozen but then it didn't come in bags and was open so I'm not sure if its good. But the price was right and it's mostly for fun.

ANYWAY the rest of it (aside from the 70mm) is off the shelf so it's good.

Want any of my portra 400? also some portra 160VC in 220.

It's not in the kinds of quantities you have, it's like 6 here, 4 here etc. but it's worth noting that I'll trade them

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    That's a lot of film.
    That's nothing; I still have room for food in my freezer. Many here do not.

I have something like 55 rolls (mixed) of Pro 800Z, acquired when Fuji announced its discontinuance, then rescinded. I have no clue when they changed their minds again. Given the price of Portra 800 lately, I'll be using up the Pro 800Z this winter.

What really disturbs me is I have four entries on the spreadsheet for 4x5 film. Problem is I don't have a 4x5 camera. Apparently I am anticipating getting one. Really? Gee, I'd better start looking!
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Organizing your film...

Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    That's nothing; I still have room for food in my freezer. Many here do not.

I have something like 55 rolls (mixed) of Pro 800Z, acquired when Fuji announced its discontinuance, then rescinded. I have no clue when they changed their minds again. Given the price of Portra 800 lately, I'll be using up the Pro 800Z this winter.

What really disturbs me is I have four entries on the spreadsheet for 4x5 film. Problem is I don't have a 4x5 camera. Apparently I am anticipating getting one. Really? Gee, I'd better start looking!
    Haha!! Just as I had some stock of 116 before I had a folder or 220 before I had my 6x6 back that took both.

I stopped doing spreadsheets /lists for now till I cut down on some of what I plan to NOT have for long. Then when I'm down to the choice films I'll stick to them I think.

I think ilford will inevitably get all my business... I'd like to say "oh yes I shot in this and that film, while its still around, but it's a fools errand to invest in a style of film that say Kodak has, it's too expensive and they are collapsing, ilford is strong and that's where my money will go.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unexposed film does not last very long for me, so I use it soon after I get it. Maybe there is too much radiation where I live (ha ha). My local store carries just about any film I need, except 8x10 and regular-8. I keep 35mm in the bulk loader and one or two boxes of sheet film in the cupboard by the film holders. If I have any left over I'll put it in the freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could we get some input as to the advantage of purchasing and organizing bulk film rather than just buying it as you use it?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Organizing your film...

Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    Could we get some input as to the advantage of purchasing and organizing bulk film rather than just buying it as you use it?
    I think bulk is a price point issue, you get way more film if you buy bulk but the loading process is tedious (in my opinion) so I personally won't do it (even if I could be shooting 35mm tech pan if I did load my own) but I really only shoot 120 these days...

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The price difference between bulk and standard 36 exposure rolls isn't significant enough to justify the expense and labor of loading your own if you're not shooting a bunch; if you're shooting 10-20 or more rolls/week the cost savings does start to add up. The real benefit for those of us who shoot less seems to be the ability to load short rolls, say 12-18 exposures, when you have the need for short rolls. Plus I started at uni loading my own when I was studying darkroom, so it was a no-brainer (I'm good at those decisions) to do so again when I got back into it.

There are those who don't need to justify the expense. They like the hands-on aspect of film photography, and loading their own is a part of that. I suspect many of them graduated to LF. I have a certain amount of appreciation for this perspective.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin