Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 917

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Worst piece of photography/darkroom equipment

Well the "present opening" has completed and we all have had an opportunity to be delighted with our new toys and gadgets. This has started me thinking about some of the worst items that I have owned over the years.

Seems that some are worst than others and I could probably place a few items on the list but for now I will begin with just one or two.

When I first started 4x5 printing I bought a used Beseler 4x5 enlarger. Eventually I wanted a colorhead for both color and VC printing. I have purchased (used) a Beseler Dichro 45 Computerized Colorhead on two separate occasions.

In my humble opinion this piece of equipment rates as the "worst piece" that I have ever used. Totally unreliable and finicky to keep working and constantly needing repair. I cursed the day I bought the first one and for the life of me, cannot explain why I would repeat the mistake and buy another.

Coming in at a close second in this category was the Minolta/Beseler flash tube colorhead. In fairness the Minolta model worked fine but had excessively long print times and the tubes were expensive to keep replacing. The Beseler 45 colorhead never did work properly and that is probably why so many of these show up "used" in the stores.

So what would you pick as your worst experience in equipment?

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Myself. I have been meaning to change me as I keep producing bad prints and horrid negatives, butI didn't get the appropriate gift this Chrismas...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    - Aquavac or something like that film washer. The water won't go up and down, it would just stay on the bottom.

- Cheap dodging tools

- The beseler 50mm lens that came with my Beseler 23c

- Besides that, I think I've had everything in my darkroom for close to 20 years now. I've gotten about 3 digicams in the past 3 years. And spent just about the same amout of money. There's something wrong about that....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Voss 50/3.5 enlarging lens that came with my Bogen 22A Special enlarger.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Accura 35mm enlarger

When I was first starting out I got an Accura enlarger from a garage sale. It was denifitely the "worst piece" of equipment I have ever used and no suprise that they aren't around anymore.

Dave
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

"Speed kills, Del" Johnny Fever

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a fairly conservative you-get-what-you-pay-for photo shopper, so I haven't had too many real duds - with the possible exception of a cheap flat print drier that I bought back in the late '60s. By far, the worst piece of gear over the years seems to have been the external shutter-release activator - me.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Horse race between the guy doing the focusing and the guy who can't seem to see all the elements in the composition - Myself.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    Years ago, I had an Agfa 120 daylight-loading tank. To this day there is still an Agfa 120 daylight-loading tank shaped hole in the wall opposite the door to my darkroom.

'Nuff said.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Faux Pas

Worst Equipment:
    1.Zone VI Type I enlarger. I bought into a lot of the stuff that ZoneVI produced but this time they went too far. Luckily I pawned it off on someone else and replaced it with a 50 year old Burke and James 5x7 enlarger that I retrofitted to a VC litesource. The B+J is a masterpiece of simplicity and it comes apart in 3 pieces for travel.
    2. Canham 8x10 camera. Finally got rid of this one too. Maybe it led to my demise of using 8x10 but that camera and me were NEVER friends. Too many slippery movements for my taste. Hopefully Jim Chinn can come out with a reasonably priced 7x17 camera that functions!
    3. Assorted Schneider lenses that I bought new- not really crap but I must have sent back about 5 or 6 lenses because of "Schniederitis."
    4. Schnieder 150mm componon-s enlarging lense. I always knew it stunk but the truth showed up when I purchased a Apo-Rodenstock 150mm enlarging lens. Expensive but worth every penny.
    Photography is a long journey-places like APUG can sure save people alot of wasted time and money
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Without question, the Kodak Daylight Loading Developing tank from my early days. This piece of sheer crap NEVER loaded a film correctly. Ever. It hung around my darkroom until one day I took it to the Range and put a .357 through it. THAt was satisfying! (Yes, I cleaned up the Range afterwards).

I can not think of one other stick of equipment that even approaches that one. Maybe ... Kodak Photo-Flo full strength. That left concrete-like brown drips on my film. I've used Edwal LFN (Like F...... Nice?) as a substitute for many years, now.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin