Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,997   Online: 1103

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cold itself won't hurt your camera or film (aside from brittleness, and possibility of static streaks). Heat can definitely harm both. Film will be fogged by too high a temperature, and lubricants in cameras and lenses can move to places they shouldn't be, or partially evaporate.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    As an aside, I would be very surprised if an insurance company would pay out on a claim for camera equipment stolen from a car left unlocked over night.
    Insurance companies won't pay for any equipment because I'm a "professional" they only cover cheap cameras like canon rebels and such... if you're a hobbiest ... as a pro, they won't cover anything... I'm sure there's some kind of photographers equipment insurance but I don't know where to find that info... anyone? Also any camera that's old enough to claim to be a hobby camera... they won't give you a good price on anyway...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give Maine Mutual a try. I have everything insured for full replacement value (even older pieces) no matter where it is at a very reasonable cost. I update prices once a year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, You can just remove the alarm box, or just unplug it, it's in the top of the left hand front wheel well (on a 9-5 anyway) held on with two bolts. The locks will work correctly, and the keyless entry will work too. The downside is that every time you start the car the display will tell you to service the alarm system.
    Mine is sitting in my workshop waiting for a roundtoit and battery replacement.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Cold / Hot Weather Effect on Lenses/Glass

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    FWIW, You can just remove the alarm box, or just unplug it, it's in the top of the left hand front wheel well (on a 9-5 anyway) held on with two bolts. The locks will work correctly, and the keyless entry will work too. The downside is that every time you start the car the display will tell you to service the alarm system.
    Mine is sitting in my workshop waiting for a roundtoit and battery replacement.
    I've thought of that but doesn't that stop the lock/unlock button on the key to stop working so you habe to manually lock all the doors or unlock then or the trunk with the key? I'm always carrying stuff and so pushing that unlock button in my pocket is essential haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    Give Maine Mutual a try. I have everything insured for full replacement value (even older pieces) no matter where it is at a very reasonable cost. I update prices once a year.
    Thanks! I'll check it out for sure!

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've thought of that but doesn't that stop the lock/unlock button on the key to stop working so you habe to manually lock all the doors or unlock then or the trunk with the key? I'm always carrying stuff and so pushing that unlock button in my pocket is essential haha
    No, the buttons on the key work just fine. In some respects it's an improvement, as without the alarm, when you use the key buttons, there is no beep, it just blinks the lights and operates the locks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    No, the buttons on the key work just fine. In some respects it's an improvement, as without the alarm, when you use the key buttons, there is no beep, it just blinks the lights and operates the locks.
    OH!! Sweet! Always thought that the alarm communicated with the DIY (or whatever the radio unit thing is called) and wouldn't work with the wires detached.

I actually found replacement batteries for $25 on eBay and soldered out the old ones and put the new ones in, they worked for 3 months, no issue, then started up again... Lame...

Thanks for the info, off topic but important none the less

~Stone

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    The last time I checked, news photogs who had offices in downtown Los Angeles, CA had steel cased welded into their car trunks to keep their cameras from being stolen. I worked in some of the second hottest (after Death Valley) towns in the country, in CA and AZ and found it was not a good idea to leave a camera in the trunk too long when it gets 125 degrees.
    I've thought of adding a bolted box inside my trunk but literally the whole trunk is filled with lighting and camera gear, so this isn't really an option.

Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the loss of the camera due to theft, left in the car, than I would damage from temperature changes.
    i hopr this doesn' turn into yet another 2nd amendment discussion. i can't take another one, and yes guns suffer fom expansion and contraction issues too.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin