Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,549   Online: 972

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Out-of-focus and motion blur as SF lens/filter alternatives... how novel... but it works, I suppose.
    ... and its free !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Softening wrinkles with a Schneider Hollywood Black Magic Filter

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    no worries from me stone

when i say taking lens, i mean on the camera ( sorry for the lingo ! )

what camera are you planning to do the soft-shots with ? LF or MF or 35mm ?
    you might use front focus and have your lens not open all the way
    but stopped down a little bit and focus on something infront of your subject
    and use the lens' natural ability to soften your subject. it isn't really that hard ...
    you could also shoot with something obstructing your lens and that can soften your subject too.
    when i say obstructing, i mean like a finger or something physically close to and infront of your lens
    when you expose your film ( or whatever ). try exposing everything with deep DOF but at very slow shutter speeds too
    ( 1/2 S ) long exposures have a way of softening things up too.

have fun!
    john
    I will mostly B&W shooting on 35mm canon EOS camera, either my 1V or another type, but also my Mamiya RZ67, since almost all the lenses in both systems use 77mm I figured this would be the cheapest option. And I have a 58-77 step down ring for the others.

I'll have to find a really crappy filter to try Vaseline with, I would never do that with my B+W filters...

I'm on set today and I'll try and ask the camera guys about it, but they are often super busy.

Brian I'll take one of your lesser SF's since you don't use them

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My preference tends toward duto filters, then softar I (and its imitators). Many of the others are just too soft an diffuesed for my taste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm on set today and I'll try and ask the camera guys about it, but they are often super busy.
    Ask them about Harrison & Harrison Diffusion filters too. Those were very popular with the film industry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ask them about Harrison & Harrison Diffusion filters too. Those were very popular with the film industry.
    I think Harrison makes a black magic diffusion, I don't need the Schneider version just the hollywood black magic info, not specific to brand.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Duto and Softar I are about as much as I can stand as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So the little time I had to snag a camera operator to ask them on set today about the Hollywood Black Magic filters, he said it's the preferred filter because it gives the best diffusion while still not blowing out the highlights and also not creating any noticeable halo effects on bright lights, this is why they use them. Sold me! Now I just have to save my pennies, I'm still looking for a cheap 4x5 field camera with lots of movements, so the filter will have to wait, I guess I sort of answered my own question. But I did learn a bunch of fun techniques to try in a pinch. Thanks guys!

I'm leaving this thread open for now if anyone with more info or anyone who's actually used them wishes to comment.

He said the preferred version was the 1/2 and sometimes the 1 stop filters, not so much the other ones. Which makes sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin